Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default Which is stand-on vessel?

Sailing (racing actually but that's not material) in the Solent today in very light airs and with calm sea we were on collision course with a yacht (motoring) towing another yacht close behind. We were close hauled and they were approaching from our starboard bow.
    I felt that as they were motoring they should give way and they could have done so by turning a few degrees early on to pass behind us. Instead they started waving and gesticulating that they were towing. When close they shouted they were "restricted in their ability to maneouvre and we must give way" then "check you collision regs". As we got closer we decided to tack as although I still felt they're restriction to maneouvre was not that great (not much worse than a yacht towing a tender) but valued my boat more than a couple of charters did. Then they shouted "be a sport"!

Was I right that I was the stand-on vessel? Opinions, please.

Rowana is online now Two steps lower than the ships' cat

Default Re: Which is stand-on vessel?

Were they exhibiting the correct shapes for a vessel restricted in their ability to maneouvre?
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain

They may have been hampered by the tow, but not 'restricted in ability to maneouvre' in open water.
    No shapes displayed?- nothing in the colregs about shouting or gesticulating to show your status.
    Stand on.

No they were not displaying any shapes.

DavidTav Guest

If the yacht was less than 12m in length then the skipper would not be required to show any shapes.

Interesting point but is the 12m the yacht length or the combined length inc tow?

Nevertheless, I doubt many yachts have three balls on board!

alan17 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home near Stansted Airport Boat at Burnham yacht harbour

In the final analysis it is every one's duty to avoid a collision. Whether they were in the right or not I think that you should report the situation including names of the other yachts.

Towing doesn't automatically confer on a vessel the status of it being restricted in its ability to manouvre. It is only restricted in its ability to manouvre if the tow really does restrict its ability to manouvre, in which case the tug would show the ball diamond ball dayshapes & corresponding lights at night.

A yacht towing another in open water just isn't at all likely to be restricted in its ability to manouvre. Sounds like they were just taking the p.

IRPCS Rule 3.g Vessels restricted in ability to manoeuvre shall include....
    (vi) a vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course.

I would suggest that it was them that needed to check the ColRegs.
    East Anglia Yacht Surveys http://www.eastangliayachtsurveys.co.uk

Just ram him and employ a marine expert barrister at many thousands per hour to figure it out whilst you retire to the pub.