Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Which is stand-on vessel?

It's not really like towing a tender is it? If I slow down or go astern, the rubber tender bounces off my stern. A towed yacht carries a lot of momentum & will simply smash into my stern with little or no chance of avoiding a collision.

The tower could easily change course, but not slow down safely. It makes sense to understand the other guy's problems before posting thsi sort of stuff. Did you explain to him that you were competeing in a race? He may then have been prepared to turn to go astern of you. Basically, did you try asking nicely?
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

"the special circumstances of the case including the limitation of the vessels involved"
    Seemed like a good idea at the time!!!

They would have been severly restricted so you would be the give way vessel IMO. Whats wrong with tacking a bit early and asking if you can also help?

Chrusty1 Guest

"It is only restricted in its ability to manouvre if the tow really does restrict its ability to manouvre, in which case the tug would show the ball diamond ball dayshapes & corresponding lights at night."

Yer know what, I hope that one day you are in need of a tow, and get told......

Sorry can't help you we don't have the correct shapes and lights! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Perhaps it was 2 37ft Sunny charter boats?

I Sail in the Solent all the time
    I often give way, showing a large altererration to course to convey my intentions.
    I work on the principle, lets not give them a hard time .
    Be they racing, towing or just having a good day!!
    its a small stetch of water that we are all trying to use!!

[ QUOTE ]
    When close they shouted they were "restricted in their ability to maneouvre and we must give way" then "check you collision regs".

[/ QUOTE ] Not in the Colregs, but there should be an addendum to the effect that communications such as these define the source as an arrogant banker; the proper course of action when faced with one of these is to make the appropriate hand signal and give way.

lenseman is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    I Sail in the Solent all the time
    I often give way, showing a large altererration to course to convey my intentions.
    I work on the principle, lets not give them a hard time .
    Be they racing, towing or just having a good day!!
    its a small stretch of water that we are all trying to use!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    <span style="color:white"> if you can read this your are cheating - LOL </span> <span style="color:red"> SECONDED! </span>
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Few yachts carry enough shapes for the correct day shapes that could have been shown.

On seeing a tow, I'd watch like a hawk &amp; avoid if I thought they were not avoiding me. Point is that you have no idea why the yacht is being towed. Could be the motor just died. Or, the rudder could be jammed hard over. There may be an unseen drogue stabilising the whole lot.

But driving the tow, I'd also try to keep clear of yachts if I could.

Sounds by the "be a sport" comment the tow could have kept clear.
    I always wanted to learn to spell "engineer". Now I are wun.

I've towed other boats and been towed myself.

Have a look at commercial tugs. Most aren't RAM because they're not sufficiently restricted in their ability to manouvre but they have the lights etc because some of their tows will severly restrict them.

Just towing another yacht doesn't restrict you sufficiently unless there's something else wrong with the boat (such as no steering or jammed steering).

Anyway, aren't you one of those trolls I've been warned about. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]