Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Superflid is offline Registered User

Default Re: Chris_E\'s *definitive* guide to catching fish from a yacht

Well, there would have been a leg for everyone. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

To get back to the original thread, thanks Chris, and I will give it another go - might not be so surprised if the rod jumps this time!

Well, I'm glad that you gave it go. I'd guess that it was a bass that pulled your string.

I'm seriuosly impressed by your starfish catch..... on a spinner

Sgeir is offline Registered User
    Location : Loch Linnhe in the summer - Dallens Bay, Appin. Ashore at MRC, Loch Creran for this winter.

[ QUOTE ]
    Pollock and coalfish

[/ QUOTE ]

All we ever seem to catch are mackerel, but about pollack and coalfish, are they actually different fish, or the same fish with different names?

Also, are coalfish coley? And where do saithe and lythe come into the game? Are they separate species, or related to pollack, coalfish, coley etc?

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Ω

Right, pollack and coalfish, definitely two different types of fish, although very similar. One has a kink in its dorsal line the other doesn't but I can't remember which...

Saithe, lythe and coley all different names for pollack , although I wouldn't be too surprised if commercial fishermen lumped pollack and coalfish together.

Sgeir is offline Registered User
    Location : Loch Linnhe in the summer - Dallens Bay, Appin. Ashore at MRC, Loch Creran for this winter.

Ta, you're a gent. Still won't be able to tell 'em apart though, but if they taste OK, don't suppose I'll care.
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    That's a lot of pollock
    Oi! I resemble that remark. But I can't catch anything, not even my namesake...

Of course, some are bigger than others - plastic pink squid on the surface at 8 knots. (The squid is about 6 inches long so you can see how big this monster was)

Warm water trolling tip - don't believe the books and troll 1.5 to 2 boat lengths back - let out as much as you can, 150 metres is good. We caught loads this way.

This is a sort of Mackerel ie a Wahoo.

By the way I thought it was Mackerel not Mackeral. (Oh God I hope I haven't started another thread like the one about ensigns and apostraphe''s.)

Quote Originally Posted by HoratioHB View Post
    Of course, some are bigger than others - plastic pink squid on the surface at 8 knots. (The squid is about 6 inches long so you can see how big this monster was)

Warm water trolling tip - don't believe the books and troll 1.5 to 2 boat lengths back - let out as much as you can, 150 metres is good. We caught loads this way.

This is a sort of Mackerel ie a Wahoo.

By the way I thought it was Mackerel not Mackeral. (Oh God I hope I haven't started another thread like the one about ensigns and apostraphe''s.)
    You're right it is mackerel.

Not a bad Wahoo, they'll take at any speed you can drive a boat at, I've had them returning from a game fishing trip at 20 knots.

Re how far to troll behind boat in warm water. I used to run a couple of rods off the back of mine when in warmer climes and caught as many fish at 20 yards out as I did at 100. I found that the most important thing was when to fish, we caught the majority of fish in the two hours after sunrise and the two hours around sunset.

But that's another story, shame we don't have this kind of fishing locally (although some of my friends are, as I write, off the coast of W Ireland fishing for 1000lb+ tuna....)

Ta, you're a gent. Still won't be able to tell 'em apart though, but if they taste OK, don't suppose I'll care
    They taste different!

I do.

I have a diagram but have yet to master putting pictures or scans on to this site (I can attach to emails,) so I'll look a bit further into it.

Deadly simple and it works a treat. We catch Cornish mackerel up to about 6kts but it is better at around 4kts. Can't work out if it's better in sun or not - for the spinner- or whether Springs or Neaps are better.

Our attempts are completely haphazard, chucking it out when we remember and we rarely fail to catch something. Even caught a Sea Trout the other day (had to look it up in Rick Stein's fish book,) brilliant.
    Genuinely nice Sabre 27 STILL for sale. Somebody must want her?