Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayfarer woes

AlistairM is offline Registered User

Default Wayfarer woes

I may be able to come in possession of a wayfarer hull. Do I need a specific wayfarer mast and boom or can I make sure of the dimensions and get "something similar" at possibly less of a cost.

It looks as though I could get a small enterprise or something similar for the same price as the spars and rigging for this, does this seem unreasonable or am I missing something.

Thanks

It's a long since I sailed either wayfairers or enterprises.

But my guess the enterprise rig would be too small for the wayfairer.

The wayfairer is a good all round boat, would be shame to sail it half cocked so to speak.

The enterprise is smaller and a lot lighter. I would have thought you could find the proper kit second hand somewhere.

Good luck
    Last edited by MarkJohnson12345; 20-07-09 at 19:32. Reason: grammer!

reeac is offline Registered User

Default Wayfarer woes

Depends whether you intend to race - if so then you'll need the authentic Wayfarer rigging. Even if you don't want to race then a standard Wayferer would be more readily resaleable. I recently sold a 1973 Mk.1 Wayferer and had lots of enquiries - there seems to be plenty of demand for these boats.

EdWingfield is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairM View Post
    I may be able to come in possession of a wayfarer hull. Do I need a specific wayfarer mast and boom or can I make sure of the dimensions and get "something similar" at possibly less of a cost.

It looks as though I could get a small enterprise or something similar for the same price as the spars and rigging for this, does this seem unreasonable or am I missing something.

Thanks
    What are you intending to do?

If single-handing or cruising, a smaller rig would be the way to go.
    Blow wind, rise storm,
    Ship ashore before dawn.

sarabande is online now Registered User

for the first time in over thirty years, I am without a sailing dinghy, having recently sold my lovely racing wayfarer.

I'd certainly go for a proper WF mast and boom as they will give you all the power you need, plus the sailing balance.

Try the owners group
    http://www.wayfarer.org.uk/index.php...ger&Itemid=110

there are usually bits available.

Also eBay
    http://sports.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/...913Q2ec0Q2em24
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

The Wayfarer mast sits low down (could say keel stepped) with a tabernacle type arrangement. A Enterprise mast is deck stepped. The boom would be nearly at deck level and the shoulds about 12inches to long.

Default There are oodles of ex-dinghy sailing school dead Wayfarers lying around

Go get/pick up the Proctor mast, spreaders and original type boom* from any of the ex sailing school scrapyards for nothing.

*Roller main reefing??? You can adapt the original boom easily for slab reefing so as to avoid the rolling boom (vang) strap.

Where are you going to sail? Though a fine boat, a Wayfarer is a heavy lump to drag up the slipway. The Enterprise is easy by comparison. As mentioned, the rigs are not interchangeable.
    PM me for marine LPG

AlistairM is offline Registered User

I will be keeping it at the local sailing club to get used to it and lots of practice, but later on I was planning on towing it to various costal launch site along the south wales coast (Cardiff Bay principally).

*"Go get/pick up the Proctor mast, spreaders and original type boom* from any of the ex sailing school scrapyards for nothing.

*Roller main reefing??? You can adapt the original boom easily for slab reefing so as to avoid the rolling boom (vang) strap. "*

Where would these said scrap yards be??

Default google "wayfarer mast" "proctor" or whatever

you can even look it all up on Ebay ....

Buddy, we've answered your questions and pointed you in various directions: YOU have to get off your butt and go find ..... Sorry. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

M