Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91
  1. #71
    Lizzie_B's Avatar
    Lizzie_B is offline Registered User
    Location : UK/Bedford. sail in Solent/Norfolk
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Most excellent!!!

    Hope when you're ready to leave the weather gives you a fast passage south.
    All the best and keep us posted
    sorry chief, but I 'ad this bang on the 'ead see!

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    528

    Default

    It's treads like this and all the valuable advise on it that makes this forum what it is...FIRST CLASS

  3. #73
    Barnac1e's Avatar
    Barnac1e is offline Registered User
    Location : Switzerland/Italy
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simonmaclellan View Post
    It's treads like this and all the valuable advise on it that makes this forum what it is...FIRST CLASS
    Indeed. And the bonus to me as a fascinated lurker who has had his own recent headache of bleeding a boat diesel is the OP's input and eventual explanation of what cleared the problem. Kudos to him and his frank confessions. Too often a problem is posed and helpful people have offered tips but there has been no feedback - everything disappeared into a black hole. Well done all.

  4. #74
    MrCramp is offline Registered User
    Location : East Midlands
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sea View Post
    Thanks guys, you all contributed to my engine now purring like a beauty.

    Problem = pig to bleed
    and the fact that i had the wrong engineer, 2 hours with the right man and it is going lovely, cost 70.

    He says its running sweet as a nut and i shouldnt have any probs if we look after it. I am going to get him to spend a couple of days with me in a cheaper marina to overhaul and service it before we set off for our great escape. Thanks for all your advice and help and those of you who offered me contact numbers to talk me through it thank you big time!

    I am sure i will require a point in the right direction some time.

    Thanks guys
    What was the name of the engineer who diagnosed the engine a write off?

    Think you should give us his name as it was obviously very very bad advice and could have cost you an awfull lot of money. Not fair to let some other receive the same treatment. This is what forums are for.

    Very pleased for you that it is sorted.

  5. #75
    Gordonmc's Avatar
    Gordonmc is offline Registered User
    Location : Loch Riddon for Summer
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    A result!
    I would be interested in which part of the system was the culprit, if your engineer told you.
    I had all sorts of fun with my T90 after replacing the secondary filter and couldn't start it. It turned out to be a bubble in the injection pump which, as I now know, has a bleed screw in the body.
    Its in a virtually impossible spot to access, behind the oil filtre.
    I am just glad you sorted the problem and your first engineer didn't get his hands on more of your readies
    Visit MarinaSkip to get rid of your unwanted boaty stuff (and pick up
    some more!)

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/

  6. #76
    Iota Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCramp View Post
    What was the name of the engineer who diagnosed the engine a write off?

    Think you should give us his name as it was obviously very very bad advice and could have cost you an awfull lot of money. Not fair to let some other receive the same treatment. This is what forums are for.

    Very pleased for you that it is sorted.

    The engineer concerned is well known to Mayflower berth holders and I would recommend not naming him here because of his character and possible outcomes. I have suggested that Sea talks to the Marina Manager - Charles Bush and gives him the feed back as someone who has been an involantary vistor to Mayflower. If you really want the name please PM me or indeed OP.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,930

    Default BMC bleeding

    Are all BMCs hard to bleed?I bled my friend's 1500 once and had no trouble whatsoever,or was I just lucky?

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    5,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sea View Post
    Thanks guys, you all contributed to my engine now purring like a beauty.

    Problem = pig to bleed
    and the fact that i had the wrong engineer, 2 hours with the right man and it is going lovely, cost 70.

    Thanks guys
    I have seen this before with this engine so I hope you have followed the sequence the engineer followed so you can do it alon4e next time.It seems some of these pumps are pigs to bleed through to the high pressure side.

    Some old Volvos also suffer this problm and on a couple of occasions I have had to losen delivery valves to get air out. Try and get manuals cvering the servicing of the engine etc.

    I hope you enjoy your dream and if you return with more questions you will no doubt get lots of help. Your engine is one of those that run for ever like in London taxi cabs so should be OK for years to come.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

  9. #79
    peterb is offline Registered User
    Location : Radlett, Herts
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    2,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    I wonder how many people have been told by "engineers" that there engine is Knackered and needs replacing.
    Can be just as bad the other way round. We were intending to do major maintenance on the boat over winter. Had the V***o engineer in to check the engine; "Perfectly good, compression high, needs no work." Launched in the spring; first trip out the engine was hard to start. A week later we called in the V***o engineer (same man!); "No compression, either needs reconditioning or a new engine." Plans were such that we couldn't afford the delay for reconditioning, so we had to have a new engine.

    (Use of the asterisks is because surely the full word would result in one of those 'word removed' attacks.)

  10. #80
    lenseman's Avatar
    lenseman is offline Registered User
    Location : South East Coast - United Kingdom
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,079

    Default

    Something is wrong with your keyboard. Every time you typed the letters 'olv' after a capital 'V', all that appeared were stars [SHIFT 8]

    I am sure it should have been 'Volvo' ? and it must be a mistake as it happened twice!



    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Can be just as bad the other way round. We were intending to do major maintenance on the boat over winter. Had the V***o engineer in to check the engine; "Perfectly good, compression high, needs no work." Launched in the spring; first trip out the engine was hard to start. A week later we called in the V***o engineer (same man!); "No compression, either needs reconditioning or a new engine." Plans were such that we couldn't afford the delay for reconditioning, so we had to have a new engine.

    (Use of the asterisks is because surely the full word would result in one of those 'word removed' attacks.)
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •