Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Genoa sheets - which knot?

Like most sailors I attach my genoa sheets to the clew using bowlines and suffer the problem of the knots catching on the babystay when tacking. I recall, I think in PBO, of someone describing a method of attaching the sheets which gets over this problem. Does anyone recall this, and if so could they explain to me how to do it?

MoodySabre is offline Registered User

One way is to tie them on with bowlines but then whip the two sheets parallel to each so that there is a smooth run from one tack to the other.
    Not all who wander are lost

Gin is offline Registered User

I've tried several methods and the baby stay is a bugger! I now use a Compass 24 (Liros) rope shackle to connect two soft eye splices in the sheets and it works very well

Send me your e-mail, address and I'll return a picture

alan17 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home near Stansted Airport Boat at Burnham yacht harbour

I use the same as MoodySabre and the baby stay is no longer a problem.

I've also been mulling over this problem for some time. One way I wanted to try was using a double length sheet, seized into a loop at the centre, with an additional short length of stiff, say 10mm dia. rope, also seized at the centre, approx 3 inches longer than the loop. The theory is that you push the loop through the cringle and the short rope is then pushed through the loop therby retaining it in the cringle. Perhaps also seized on or stitched to make sure the short rope does not come off. Didn't work for me as after I had carefully seized the bits together, the loop woudn't go through the cringle as the rope was too thick!! So I just did a bowline in the centre of the rope - this works well but I suspect the knot will be a B***** to undo at layup time. I did see a sketch for a double bowline in the centre of a rope but it was impossible to tie onto a cringle.
    I like the idea of seizing two bowlined ropes together so may try this next year.
    PS - the only reason I tried it this year was one of my sheets was shortened by my rope cutter and been demoted to a mooring rope and approved of by my crew as it was lot more flexible.
    Last edited by PetiteFleur; 31-07-09 at 22:03.

Default Genoa Sheets.....No Knot!

I have used just one length of rope for the last two seasons….centre point passed through the eye on the clew and then the rope is passed through itself and pulled tight. Been out with just the Genoa in a blow with the toe-rail in the water….yes I know I was not sailing efficiently but we were just having fun with the boat…..with no movement in the sheets.
    LSGCM & Dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    I've tried several methods and the baby stay is a bugger! I now use a Compass 24 (Liros) rope shackle to connect two soft eye splices in the sheets and it works very well
    I saw the earlier post about this and am using this system, absolutely no problem with the baby stay since I started using it. Last season it was a PITA.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Jib sheets

I found that the jib sheets were the most worn lines on the boat. We do a lot of tacking.
    I had at the time a shackle in the middle of the rope with whipping keeping it in place.
    The rope wore both at the shackle (it needed a thimble) and at the point where the rope went into metal cam cleats.
    I have new sheets now which I currently use as an endless sheet ie a bowline at the jib on each end. That works out well and eveery time I sail I retie the sheets so the wear point is slightly different each voyage.
    When wear becomes apparent I can turn the rope around with the centre attached to the jib. I would need to use a shackle however as i change jibs often in a race. So threading the rope through the jib eyelet to the centre is not an option.
    However if you have a furling jib then jib sheets are semi permanent. You can feed the rope through top the centre and put a stopper knot (figure 8) each sie of the eyelet or my favourite is pass the sheet through the eylet and make a single bowline. ie the standing part and the tail are equal length and become 2 sheets.
    or [ut the free ends of each sheet through the eyelet with a stopper knot on each or even a hitch and whipping.
    I suggest you try these differenet options till you find what is best for you but for long life of the rope do change it around.. I am fortunate in not having an inner forestay so for the time being a bowline on each sheet. good luck olewill

BAtoo is offline Registered User

The easiest method I have used is as "old glow in the dark" - also used n lots of wind and never moved, in fact so secure its a bu$$er to undo.
    If using a bowline I try to keep the eyes largeish and the tails short; I expect whipping /taping the tails down would help.

Default Knot this way

Use a single long sheet with a bowline in the middle and the bight through the cringle such that the (long) tails become the sheets or alternatively an alpine butterfly tied in the same manner. It is a wee bit of a pain to tie, but if not being removed regularly such as on a furler, it works well.
    This cuts the volume of knotted rope by half , reduces catching and wear and it also looks neater.