Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default i want to buy a boat please gimme a few tips!

ive finally made the decision that i would like to take a long work break after some personal harships. i have around 90-100k to spend on a boat and was looking at buying a cruiser that i could live aboard .i have looked at a DORAL 360 and also a SEALINE S37 http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MTYyNjk5...aline_S37.html
    both are around the 1999 yr and have siimular features but what i wanted to ask you was the following, (1) could i cross the channel on something of this size 37 ft and go through france as well?
    (2)could i cruise in the med in a boat of this size? would it be practical to live aboard a boat of this size for 3-4 years?
    (3)whats the living costs? per year
    i have worked with diesels all my life so i could service it i expect , to be honest ive spoke to some brokers and they just tell they want you want too hear as i will buy outright but i dont want to buy something that will shake the hell out of me and have not got much boating experience.any contacts are most welcome
    kindest regards cook

Wiggo is offline Registered User

OK, I'll have ago, as no-one else has waded in yet...

Could you cross the channel? Yes, easily.

Could you go through the French canals? Probably (check the air draft), but bear in mind they're not ideal boats for it - sterndrives will mean awful steering at canal speeds and big diesels running at idle for hours on end won't be happy. Check teh tankage as well, because I understand fuel supplies can be patchy on the canal system.

Could you cruise the med? Yes, definitely. Though you may want to find a boat with aircon and a gennie as well.

Could you live aboard? Yes, but not very comfortably. A boat that size is fine for a couple of weeks, but I doubt you would want to live aboard for 3-4 years.

Living costs are terribly difficult to guess. You're going to need an annual berth, so on the South Coast that's around £5k/year, but not many marinas allow liveaboards. Others will advise on the Med situation. Fuel costs depend on how much you motor around, obviously. Given the available accomodation, I suspect you may spend more time eating out than eating aboard, so you would need to factor that in as well.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

Default Hi

Hi cook

Wow! That's a massive 1st step on the boating ladder.
    I am not in a position to give you any advice as I'm a newbie myself but what I can tell you is you will get some terrific advice from the people here which, if heeded, will be invaluable to you.
    Anyway, all the best in your new adventure

Lisa

mikef is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    ive finally made the decision that i would like to take a long work break after some personal harships. i have around 90-100k to spend on a boat and was looking at buying a cruiser that i could live aboard .i have looked at a DORAL 360 and also a SEALINE S37 http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MTYyNjk5...aline_S37.html
    both are around the 1999 yr and have siimular features but what i wanted to ask you was the following, (1) could i cross the channel on something of this size 37 ft and go through france as well?
    (2)could i cruise in the med in a boat of this size? would it be practical to live aboard a boat of this size for 3-4 years?
    i have worked with diesels all my life so i could service it i expect , to be honest ive spoke to some brokers and they just tell they want you want too hear as i will buy outright but i dont want to buy something that will shake the hell out of me and have not got much boating experience.any contacts are most welcome
    kindest regards cook
    Buying a sports cruiser like one of these for liveaboard use is a bit like buying a small sports car for transporting your family. Basically this type of boat, whilst it is capable of taking you on your summer cruise, is really meant for blasting along to the nearest anchorage. Personally, I can't imagine swapping living in a house for living for 3-4 yrs in one of these. You need more space
    You have indicated that you want to go to the Med through the French canal/river system so that rules out a flybridge boat because of headroom restrictions. The only type of boat that gives you planing speed with plenty of living space and low headroom is the style of boat made by the likes of Broom and Atlantic which have large aft cabins and the helm above (Broom call this 'command bridge'). Take a look at the Broom 37/36/345 although you might have to increase your budget a little. If you're prepared to go slowly, then there are many steel hulled Dutch cruisers built in the same style
    Once you're in the Med, you can live on anything in the summer but the winters can bring rain and cold winds. You will need a 10m berth so you're going to have to budget for anything between 5k and 15k pa and berths are not easily available in many parts of the W Med. Fuel costs will depend on how far you go but you can budget on anything between 2 and 4 per mile depending how slow or fast you go. Insurance will cost about 1000 pa and maintenance costs would depend on how handy you are with a spanner but say, 2000 pa. For the Med, a passarelle for boarding (most moorings are stern to) is handy and a generator is very useful, particularly if you plan a lot of overnight anchoring (saves on mooring fees). I would say that aircon is a must but plenty of people survive without it in the Med

blueglass is offline Registered User

You could keep your mooring costs down by heading the eastern med (greece, Turkey) where costs are much lower. I think you need more accommodation than an S37 to live on for 3 or 4 years without going mad. As you sound OK around diesel engines and maybe other maintenance on a DIY basis you might do better to buy a bigger boat (that means older)
    We spend 3 or 4 months a year on an aft cabin 38 footer in the med without aircon and have no problem with that but wouldn't contemplate 3 or 4 years. For independant life away from marinas etc a gennie is pretty essential out here.
    To be honest without ANY experience at all you are jumping in at the very deep end - its not like buying a caravan. Still doable and I would never stand in the way of an adventure, but you have a lot of spade work ahead.
    Air draught to get you through the French canals is 3.5 meters max, which will preclude most big flybridge boats. If that is your plan, this will narrow down your choices considerably.

JohannaMaria is offline Registered User

Smile

Cook
    PM sent

powerskipper is offline Registered User

Default this may be more what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    kindest regards cook

here are 2 boats that mit be better suited to what you want. and a link to a blog about living aboard, this mite help.

http://www.livingonboats.co.uk/artic...a-small-budget

http://www.easternyachts.com/snowgoose/index.htm

http://www.easternyachts.com/nereida/
    Last edited by powerskipper; 13-08-09 at 10:32. Reason: did not take links

tinkicker0 is offline Registered User

Boats are like cars. You think you are going to buy with your head, then your heart chips in its twopenneth.

Living aboard requirements depends on the person living on onboard and any/ number of companions, and what toys you are prepared to sacrifice.

I personally could live for extended periods under canvas quite happily, however others would not be happy spending a night in anything less than a 5 star hotel.

I just need a shower block and toilet, others expect a sauna and manicurist on call.

I suspect that you have a similar background to me, are sick of stress and deadlines and feel like getting away from it all.

Sportscruisers are the business in looks, but living space is a problem in the sizes you are quoting, you will have a cabin or two, a small cubicle containing a sofa / table / galley/head/ storage cabinets and an aft cockpit in the open air.

Someone quoted a Broom aft cabin. Don't know much about these, but I know an esteemed forumite who lived aboard a Broom Ocean 42 quite happily and year round in the UK.

For me, wanting a fast/ racy looking but reasonably practical boat, I would go for flybridge. Reasonable cabin space, outside area for chilling and entertaining, plus a reasonable sized salon to act as a living room to sup beer and watch DVDs in comfort when its pissing down outside.

Then we get to the Trawler / Dutch barge that others have mentioned.

In my opinion, eminently suited for long periods in the water, loads of room, probably got washing machines on board and god knows what else. Pricey though for a tidy un and expect less than 10 knots or thereabouts top speed, but less dosh per mile.

Don't forget that sending a boat to the med via truck is often far cheaper than it costs to sail there, is more practical if you have a tall boat and also that Europe often requires the skipper to have qualifications such as the International Certificate of Competence and CEVNI.

Not that very much of the above comes from direct experience, only reading other forumites findings and doing pipe dream research.

I wish you well in chasing the dream.
    Last edited by tinkicker0; 13-08-09 at 11:13.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

there is a live aboard forum too.. you might want to pop in there are ask(or search) what people think are the criteria for such a boat.

DavidJ is offline Registered User

S37 is a totally super boat with a couple of hundred being made so well proven. We often do 100 mile hops in the Med, sometimes hitting poor (f6-7) weather and it takes it OK so fine for the Channel. The Sealine range tends to be beamier than most others so good for more spacious living. Although most of us here would think it's a bit small for living aboard for a long time, lots of yachties live aboard in much smaller spaces especially in the Med.
    S37's with KAD43's are much simplier to maintain than with KAD44's, 300's etc and don't have electronic controls and 2x 230hp will push you at 32knots with good crusiing at 22-24 knots. They were also fitted with Mercruiser engines which I believe are sound but less popular so expect to pay less (and receive less when you sell)
    Your berthing costs will be lower than with a bigger boat of course, I pay about 4000 pa on the Costa Brava.
    Hope this all helps a bit.