Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

How about something like a Princess 435 or Fairline Turbo 36. Still a planing hull for high speed cruising but with an aft-cabin and lots of room. Princess 435 height is 3.51m with the radar arch down so should be okay for inland.

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/V0FMUjAx...ncess_435.html

http://www.princess.co.uk/heritage-d...incess-435.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    As already said check the airdraft (i.e the height of boat above waterline)of anything you are considering and if it exceeds 3.5m even by a centimetre,
    Oops...

blueglass is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by silver_boy View Post
    Oops...
    yes silver boy, the airdraught IS critical. we came down through canals in convoy with some friends in a trader 41+2 wich was I think right on the 3.5m. it was a struggle which totally ruined their trip and their confidence. highest point of the boat was the throttle levers and it would only pass under some bridges with throttle levers in full ahead (horizontal) position. this entailed switching engines off, loading up boat with passers by for extra ballast and towing the boat under. There are a LOT of bridges. They finally arrived on the Rhone with damaged flybridge etc and sold the boat - dream shattered.

I think that the airdraft of the Sealine S37 is well over 3.5m.

Default sundancer

Quote Originally Posted by sundancer9000 View Post
    find someone to take u out on a boat, even hire a boat for a month, sounds like you are about to spend 100k that u will not be able to claw back. Catch yourself on, maybe hire a dvd on boating , i cant believe all the peeps on this forum have even replied to you.OMG i dont believe im even taking the time type this .
    im sorry i didnt mention i have done the canal scene a few times on a small canal boat and although im well travelled id still say it was one of the best breaks i had,pherhaps all the peeps in this forum remember the day when they first purchased there first boat.either way thanks for the comment again people!

tinkicker0 is offline Registered User

Another point that the Cook will need to consider is the dreaded survey. Dead easy to throw his dosh down the crapper and its a pretty penny he's talking about.

Be a shame to lose your dosh on a boat that will barely float.

concur with poster above.

the boat gotta be registered, VAT documented and insured.
    the crew gotta have the correct paperwork and qualifications or the boat may be impounded. Johnny Foreigner Policemen over in Europe don't do things by half measures.
    Avatar = Bailey - Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    To do what you want to do, i.e. cross the channel, pass through the french canals and head east to the cheaper end of the med and live on board, all on a tight budget, narrows the field a lot. As already said check the airdraft (i.e the height of boat above waterline)of anything you are considering and if it exceeds 3.5m even by a centimetre, delete from your list as you can't get under the canal bridges. A semi displacement broom or atlantic (atlantics usually a bit cheaper) is an ideal boat for this. They give the ultimate compromise of low airdraught, good seakeeping, good fuel economy at lower speeds, excellent accomodation levels for their length and importantly, easy handling at lower speeds. The disadvantages are, no racy lines, higher fuel costs when operated at planing speeds, and as you have already noticed, much more expensive.

I don't know if anyone else has said this but you cannot contemplate ANY of this project without a lot of training and certain qualifications. This is not beginner boating.
    yes thanks again for your comments blue all very informative much obliged.i have looked into the courses the most expensive being the icc international certificate of competancy being 700 to a thousand its a five day course,i think handling the boat will be pretty easy as i have some experience already but once again thanks for the comments

Default tinker

well if i spend 100k im bound to get a good deal???if not then theyll be walking the plank lol i understand that i will need a marine surveyors report and offcourse itll need its cce cert now wheres a good place to look brokers private spain?? usa?

Smile

you have obviously given this a bit more thought than maybe you have been given credit for.
    Given the will, and some self reliance, theres nothing to stop you doing this.
    Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    now wheres a good place to look brokers private spain?? usa?
    If I was you I would start trolling round the brokers on the Thames. Any boat on the upper Thames will get you through the French canals airdraught wise. Many however will not be too good for the seagoing sections of your trip. Get on to some boats and get a feel for some of the types you have heard about here.