Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Matt341 is offline Registered User

Default Westerly Konsort - good choice?

Hi All,

We have just bought a Westerly Konsort, early 80's. We were planning on changing our Mirage 28 for something with more space for longer holidays on board but not quite as soon as we have done. We spotted the Konsort for sale with a local broker and she is in good condition, bit of varnishing and the deck needs a coat of interdeck but other than that she was just perfect. She has had all new headlining, new rigging, re upholstered, new nav instruments, re wired etc. And we feel she was very well priced so had to jump at the opportunity. Even though we have not yet sold our Mirage

I have spoken to a few friends who own or have owned a Konsort and they all love them. She is being dried out next weekend for us to inspect the hull but she has a fairly recent survey.

I have had a good look around the cabin and deck and all seems well. She has the original engine which is a Volvo penta md11c and has been serviced every year and has little hours but I expect it will need changing in the near future.

Is there anything in particular that needs to be checked? The keel boats all seem fine and the bilge is dry and as I said previously the headlinings have been replaced which I believe was a common westerly problem.

Many Thanks
    Ian

IanH is offline Registered User

I think that the Konsort is lovely but I have no experience of them so am only going on looks and what I've read and been told. I have PM'd you too.

Love to hear how you get on with her.

Another Ian

Default Replace the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt341 View Post
    She has the original engine which is a Volvo penta md11c and has been serviced every year and has little hours but I expect it will need changing in the near future.
    Why does the engine need to be changed? If it starts, stops, gives the power you need and has no particular bad habits it should be good for a few years yet.
    don't just sit there, unless you're a twin keeler...

Welcome to the world of Westerly. I have a 1980 Konsort which I am restoring as it was originally a home completed boat as a couple were. We sailed with to growing kids one who reached 6' 5" and still felt at home in the boat. Loads of space. Ask on the WOA discussion group and see what answers you get. Westerly-Owners@yahoogroups.com You will need to register to post.

Thank you for the messages, as I said previously the engine seems in good condition and since I did the post I have had a marine engineer to go down the boat and he tested the engine, he was more than happy with the engine and said if it remained to be well cared for he doesnt see why it shouldnt go on for another 20 years. That was a massive re assurance.

We are now thinking of joining the Westerly Owners Association. Looks like there is plenty of info on there for Westerly owners. We have now made a list of all jobs that need doing to make her the "perfect boat", which to be honest isnt much, just cosmetic, rub the sadolin off the wood, new coat of Interdeck and new dodgers, sprayhood and a cockpit enclosure to provide some more space when staying onboard.

Will keep you all posted as to how we get on with her, meanwhile some more thoughts on the boat would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Ian

Hi
    I have a Konsort.
    Just bought it last season.
    Very pleased, lots of info on the Westerly owners site.
    A huge boat for only 29ft
    It suits my sailing requirements perfectly

Thanks for that, the Konsort is only a tad bigger than the mirage but it has such a bigger beam, it makes a huge difference! And being a bilge keel makes it ideal for the Pembrokeshire waterway with a shallow draft. Our Mirage is a bilge and we were starting to think that we were going to have to go for a fin but were lucky to find that most Konsorts are a bilge also.

Ian

Excellent choice in my opinion, but then I would say that, having made the same choice myself three years ago. (Mine is 28 years old and has the Bukh 20hp engine which I have no plans to replace.)

Alan

I am considering getting a Konsort, and read in another post to look for these things, and a rough cost.

Have any Konsort owners out there had to have these done, or were they carried out before you purchased the boat?

New engine (5k)
    New standing rigging (1k)
    Keels removed and re-seated (1.5k)
    Osmosis treatment (3.5k) (not _essential_ in many cases but affects price)
    Headlining Replacing (2k)

How different is the Fulmar to the Konsort? I know the Galley and Heads are larger.

Thanks
    Andrew.

My neighbour owns a Konsort - i was very impressed with it when i went on it a while back.
    Follow us on Twitter!
    http://twitter.com/mesltd