Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mikef is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    OK, just make sure you are sitting down when you get the price quote from the marinas. I love sailing in croatia, but the marina prices are insane.
    Croatia is on my list of possibles for my next cruising area so I'm very interested in any info on marina prices. Are you talking about visitor fees or long term mooring fees? What would a 15m mooring cost on this coast, both short term and long term?

Great pics, Bart. What was the weather like during your 4 weeks? Did you find the marinas crowded?

jfm is offline Registered User

Bart, thanks for a lovely post. Those are wonderful photos, and tell a story of you having a great holiday. Fantastic stuff!

I have only been to Dubrovnic once, a couple of years ago, in a chartered boat. It's a beautiful city and it was nice to see your pictures. I also covered some of the same places as you - Korcula, Brac, Hvar, Vis, etc. All beautiful

You picture of m/y A was stunning too. Top marks to her owners for not being sheep and following the superyacht circuit around Capri/July, Costa Smeralda/early August, Cote D'Azur late August. A was nowhere to be seen!

Mikef, when I visited Split Marina there were lots of berths and it was quite a nice place. The marina I was at in Dubrovnic was very full. Apparently most marinas are full on Saturday because it's rental boat changeover day, so don't be fooled by the fact they look empty midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Great pics, Bart. What was the weather like during your 4 weeks? Did you find the marinas crowded?
    mike,

here you can find some info on the croatian weather
    http://prognoza.hr/sedam_e.php?id=se...tia&code=14454

this year we had extremely good weather
    we have been able to go out with the boat almost every day (SS max 3)
    temperature alway's 30 - 34

when you have Bora (nord wind) usually the weather is bad for 2 or 3 day's (very windy)
    on average, every two weeks you can expect some windy weather.
    but this year apart from 2 local thunder storms it was 4 weeks very good.

remember in the adriatic the weather can change very quickly, and very local
    so we alway's look at the forecasts

ones we saw it raining and thunderstorm at 5nm, and we were sun bathing behind another island.

Thanks, Bart. I know about the thunderstorms and the Bora. I'm guessing that the summer weather may not be quite as predictable as the W Med

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Bart, thanks for a lovely post. Those are wonderful photos, and tell a story of you having a great holiday. Fantastic stuff!

I have only been to Dubrovnic once, a couple of years ago, in a chartered boat. It's a beautiful city and it was nice to see your pictures. I also covered some of the same places as you - Korcula, Brac, Hvar, Vis, etc. All beautiful

You picture of m/y A was stunning too. Top marks to her owners for not being sheep and following the superyacht circuit around Capri/July, Costa Smeralda/early August, Cote D'Azur late August. A was nowhere to be seen!

Mikef, when I visited Split Marina there were lots of berths and it was quite a nice place. The marina I was at in Dubrovnic was very full. Apparently most marinas are full on Saturday because it's rental boat changeover day, so don't be fooled by the fact they look empty midweek.
    Thanks, jfm. Dubrovnik looks like the sort of place which would be crowded and expensive. I'm going on a motorbike tour with some mates in a couple of weeks time and we'll be riding the Croation coast and some offshore islands so I hope I can get a flavour of the boating facilities whilst I'm there

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Thanks, jfm. Dubrovnik looks like the sort of place which would be crowded and expensive. I'm going on a motorbike tour with some mates in a couple of weeks time and we'll be riding the Croation coast and some offshore islands so I hope I can get a flavour of the boating facilities whilst I'm there

Dubrovnic is "expensive" compared to the smaller croatian villages and city's,
    but is really cheap compared to popular places in SOF.

you have to find the small local restaurants outside Dubrovnic,
    some of them are delicious and really cheap.

cost of living is cheaper then Belgium, so for shure cheaper then france.
    maybe a little more expensive then Spain.

every year it is more crowded, but still a very nice athmosphere
    Stradun in old town Dubrovnic is always very busy, but alway's very nice.

due to the distant location the very far end of the Croatian coats, there is no mass tourism

I am curious if you can make it with the bike till down under to Dubrovnic,
    actually my brother in law and his friend did it this year (over 2000 km one way)
    pls let us know if you made it that far

Bart - many thanks for a brilliant post: just the thing to lift the spirits on a grey Monday!
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

mjf is offline Registered User

Great post and fab pix.

I have been to loads of the places you mentioned, incl that restaurant you photographed.

As a matter of interest is the restaurant still open that is in the site of the old Nav School in old town Dubrovnic? Had most fab fish ever in there.

Default Green Cave!

Really pleased that you found the Green Cave, Bart.

Looks like a great trip, good luck.