Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berthing issue

Default Berthing issue

Over the weekend, I was sailing from Cherbourg to Yarmouth in my Sadler 32. My holding tank was full and, unfortunately, the discharge pipe was blocked. We were able to pee over the side but a dodgy order of moules-frites mean that most of the crew had more substantial toilet needs, that were worsening by the hour.

We had booked a berth in Yarmouth on the walk-ashore pontoons but, when we got within VHF range and called the Harbour Office to tell them that we'd be arriving late, it appeared that there had been a mix-up and our berth had been given to another Sadler who had spun some cock and bull story about having booked in advance. We were therefore advised to raft up alongside him when we arrived, and told that, because of the inconvenience involved, we wouldn't have to pay any berthing fees for the night.

On arrival, we tied up and crept ashore, crapped and crept back again. Carefully inserted corks were then the order of the day, until a further dawn foray to the toilets for "corks-out". Unfortunately, at this point, the holding tank started to fizz and rumble ominously, so we hastily got back on board, untied and fled - which was lucky because if we'd remained alongside, the overflow pipe would have discharged the contents of our tank all over our neighbour, rather than in the proximity of Solent Bank Buoy. He obviously slept blissfully through the whole thing, because we didn't hear a peep.

I reckon he'd be pretty grateful to us if he knew, don't you?
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

jonjo is offline Registered User

I am familiar with all the problems you raise or indeed contained :-)

Suggest you search on my user name in the PBO forum for the jonjo pneumatic holding tank unblocking technique.

Talking

You didn't write for the 'League of Gentlemen' did you?

islandsailor is offline Registered User

very good!!!

Blue5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jhr View Post
    Over the weekend, I was sailing from Cherbourg to Yarmouth in my Sadler 32. My holding tank was full and, unfortunately, the discharge pipe was blocked. We were able to pee over the side but a dodgy order of moules-frites mean that most of the crew had more substantial toilet needs, that were worsening by the hour.

We had booked a berth in Yarmouth on the walk-ashore pontoons but, when we got within VHF range and called the Harbour Office to tell them that we'd be arriving late, it appeared that there had been a mix-up and our berth had been given to another Sadler who had spun some cock and bull story about having booked in advance. We were therefore advised to raft up alongside him when we arrived, and told that, because of the inconvenience involved, we wouldn't have to pay any berthing fees for the night.

On arrival, we tied up and crept ashore, crapped and crept back again. Carefully inserted corks were then the order of the day, until a further dawn foray to the toilets for "corks-out". Unfortunately, at this point, the holding tank started to fizz and rumble ominously, so we hastily got back on board, untied and fled - which was lucky because if we'd remained alongside, the overflow pipe would have discharged the contents of our tank all over our neighbour, rather than in the proximity of Solent Bank Buoy. He obviously slept blissfully through the whole thing, because we didn't hear a peep.

I reckon he'd be pretty grateful to us if he knew, don't you?

You should have posted it on Snooks thread, might have lightened the mood over there....................

That's a pretty good post for your 12,000th one :-)
    New boat project: http://elizmor.co.uk

That sounds like a comedy sketch but unfortunatly one i can fully understand, we are living aboard at the moment, and some bright spark (me) put an anti-bac cleaning cloth down the toilet. (yes i know).

A week on and our bowles are now trained into a 2 day removal session (too much info i know). The worst part, i forgot at 3am the other morning so went to relieve myself and remembered the blockage - too late, so i tried to pump it out, but the system built up so much pressure it backfired up hit the roof and showered back down on me. Nothing to do but an intentional MOB.

The moral of this story, if you get a blockage, dont look down the pan whilst pumping. It dosnt taste very nice!

sailor d is offline Registered User

Rather generous considering he stole your berth. Great story

Quote Originally Posted by sea View Post
    That sounds like a comedy sketch but unfortunatly one i can fully understand, we are living aboard at the moment, and some bright spark (me) put an anti-bac cleaning cloth down the toilet. (yes i know).

A week on and our bowles are now trained into a 2 day removal session (too much info i know). The worst part, i forgot at 3am the other morning so went to relieve myself and remembered the blockage - too late, so i tried to pump it out, but the system built up so much pressure it backfired up hit the roof and showered back down on me. Nothing to do but an intentional MOB.

The moral of this story, if you get a blockage, dont look down the pan whilst pumping. It dosnt taste very nice!
    I've just read your update on the engine, and then this! LOL

Glad you've got more mundane matters to worry about than engine replacement

Andy

Edit: Lest there be any confusion I mean the update about the inboard engine running well, not the update about the outboard being pinched - It would be particularly cruel to laugh at a man who had an engine stolen, and then got sprayed with his own sh!t
    Last edited by misterg; 08-09-09 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by sea View Post

Funniest O/T post yet!
    New boat project: http://elizmor.co.uk