Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Mavanier is offline Registered User

Default Is this possible? Standing headroom, trailerable, AND seaworthy?

I'm eyeing up the eventual boat upgrade options and my yachty friends are all moaning about crane and hardstanding costs. As a dinghy sailer I can feel very smug about this, until it rains and they all dissappear below decks, of course.
    So I'm wondering how feasible it is to find something in the 'sweet spot' where it retains the ability to be trailed on the road (as in end-of-season, not on a daily basis) but has sufficient headroom in the cabin to stand up, even if it's only in one spot.

I wouldn't really consider this possible unless I was the size I am- less than 5'6 tall. Seems like this could be of some use to me for once.

After a little research it seems possible to find some yachts which feature the following:
    - headroom of at least 5'8 in at least one part of the sabin
    - a separate heads, or at least a forecabin with heads
    - 'trailerable' for end of season transport and storage at home, saving crane hire etc.

Perhaps my favourite so far is the Offshore 8m. But there must be many more.
    So any suggestions which boats can fit within these quite narrow criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Robwhelton View Post
    sabin
    Saloon Cabin..Like it
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

My previous boat, a fin keeled Jaguar 27 I trailed home each winter. I had a single axle trailer which I made into a twin axle which easily took the weight. A friend used his Landrover to tow it but it was on the limit, and he got rid of the LR I had to get someone to tow it with a tractor. You can get bilge keeled Jaguar 27's which would be easier to trail. Good headroom and an excellent seaboat.

bilbobaggins is offline Registered User

You might profitably cast an eye over the 2 or 3 'swing-wing' folding trimarans around 27' available in the UK. Each of these will give you the headroom you seek, have some form of fitted heads, and are all eminently trailerable. They are much lighter than their monomaran cousins, so will demand a much less 'gruntier' trailing vehicle and road trailer ( quite some savings there ) and, without a fin keel, will be able to sail into many lochs, anchorages and sheltered crannies denied to anything with a draft over 1 metre.

The possibilities for a shallow-water mooring site, closer to shore, are much wider with a modest-sized tri, and you need have no qualms about seaworthiness - all those on the UK market have crossed oceans and been around Britain.

rob2 is offline Registered User

Have a look at www.varne.co.uk. The Varne 27 is a strong and seaworthy 1970s design, weighing in at 2812kgs, she can just go on a trailer behind a 4x4. Fin keeled performance and a lovely motion, particularly in a chop. Various layouts with 4 - 6 berths, standing headroom and separate heads.

OK, I admit I'm biased - I have a Weston 8500, the last derivative of the design.

Rob.
    Last edited by rob2; 03-08-12 at 17:27.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I don't know if I'll ever be converted to multihulls... I mean, I know that 'a flat boat is a happy boat' but getting a nice heel on is what brings a smile to my face And anyway I've never seen a cat/tri that I really find aesthetically pleasing.

Some of the suggestions seem quite a bit heavier than I'd assumed possible. I think I had a mental limit of about 2.25-2.5t displacement, factoring in 40% again for the trailer. Am I being too conservative?
    Remember also that I don't really want to have to crane the boat onto its trailer- I want to float it on. Some of the deeper keeled and heavier boats make me nervous just thinking about this operation.

I've just looked up some of the smaller Jags and the 23, 24, and 25 seem interesting. Any comments on the seaworthiness of these? I'd be a bit wary of a light boat being stopped by steeper waves.

27 ft with a mast to match does not sound like a trailer sailer to me! Major operation to move it aand to launch and recover.

I'm getting fed up with posts from people who want standing room in small boats, what are you planning to do down there, make speeches? How much time do you actually spend standing? not a lot I'l venture. Even on a non stander its not rocket science to build a tent over the sliding hatch cover and create standing room.

I say..get yourself a boat that looks the dogs danglies that you drool over every time you see it, and make yourself fit it. Otherwise get a caravan.

Seriously though, some of the boats suggested might take a small army to launch. If you want the nicest little 20ft Trailer Sailer that is beautifully made, has loads of room and is a doddle to trail and launch and rig, look up the Pippin 20. Its a Tucker design and is made five miles down the road from me (assuming and hoping they havn't gone under like everbody else seems to be doing) There must be ten at Rutland Water and they are perfectly good coastal yachts. As the oldest is only about eight years old you may not find any 'cheap' ones yet, but it is the roomiest 20 footer you will find that can still sail upwind respectably well.

http://www.pippin-yachts.com/

Tim
    Last edited by Alfie168; 12-09-09 at 22:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie168 View Post
    I'm getting fed up with posts from people who want standing room in small boats, what are you planning to do down there, make speeches? How much time do you actually spend standing? not a lot I'l venture. Even on a non stander its not rocket science to build a tent over the sliding hatch cover and create standing room.
    That's a fair point, actually. I know that standing headroom is going to be hard to find on a trailerable boat, hence I'm restricting it to under the hatch only, and 'standing' for me means 5'6+, cos I'm vertically a bit challenged, you could say.
    You may not spend all that much time standing up whilst sailing, but neveretheless I'd be uneasy about giving up the requirement. Just getting in and out of clothing is a lot easier if you can stand up straight, for one thing. And tents and the like do not in any way fall into my description of a 'seaworthy' boat.

short-handed is offline Registered User

Hello frm Ausralia.

This is my first post on this forum, though I've been looking for some time. It is evident that the sailing conditions in the UK are signifcantly different to those Down Under.

I think you're going to have to modify some of your selection criteria. Standing headroom is important but the question is how important. Get a yacht with a pop-top that had a tent around it. That's an easy compromise. Most times you would be standing up to get dressed etc is when moored - I assume.

You will need to go to a 25 foot boat as a minimum to get a boat with a closed head. This, in my view, would be a higher criteria than standing headroom. Particularly if you are fortunate to have a partner who likes to go sailing with you.

I would be looking for a trailable with a swing keel or a drop keel. These boats could be towed by a ute with a 3 tonne towing capacity.

For the record, I have a Catalina 22. I think it's called a Jaguar in the UK but may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!!). I'm 193cm tall (6 feet 3inches) and cope! My next boat will have a closed head. It just makes it that little bit more pleasant (for us both) when sailing with my wife.

I'm not sailing on coastal waters in my 22 footer and certainly would prefer not to be sailing in what appears, from the stories I've read and pictures I've seen, to be rather cold weather.

Roll on summer.

All the best with your search,

Robert