Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Just as an aside, Fiasco of Ashton had a CYCA sail number of 382C which she may well still be sporting.

Donald

Hi and welcome to the Centurion club (I suggest you visit http://centurion32.fr if you haven't already). I had to re-engine my C32 and did so with a Volvo D-130, which gives much more oomph. As you are aware, the prop shaft is not central to the boat's axis. At the time, I considered fitting a sail leg rather than prop but was worried about having a big bit of rubber in the hull, but in retrospect I wish I had: my marina is narrow and the Centurion doesn't like going backwards. To fit the Volvo, the engineers sawed off the raised parts of the fibreglass 'rails' and fitted SS brackets for the new one (photos available if you like).
    Happy to advise further if necessary!
    ad damnum pecuniae per navis

Hi Metabarca,

I have checked out the Centurion Website - what a help! Yep, theres no chance i'm fitting a sail drive, no way i want to have the risk of going down that quick if the rubber fails! I'd much rather deal with the tricky manoeuvres. Photos of the new mounts would be great thanks, and you say you had someone fit it, would you mind giving an idea of price so I can shop around (no worries if you don't feel comfortable doing so!).

One thing I would like to know is did you lift the engine out/in using pulleys off the boom?
    Last edited by Zac Claymore; 20-08-18 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Claymore View Post
    Hi Metabarca,

I have checked out the Centurion Website - what a help! Yep, theres no chance i'm fitting a sail drive, no way i want to have the risk of going down that quick if the rubber fails! I'd much rather deal with the tricky manoeuvres. Photos of the new mounts would be great thanks, and you say you had someone fit it, would you mind giving an idea of price so I can shop around (no worries if you don't feel comfortable doing so!).

One thing I would like to know is did you lift the engine out/in using pulleys off the boom?
    That is one heavy engine to lift on a boom. Get all the ancillaries off to reduce the size then get the yard crane to lift it, far safer.
    Many boats of this era had engines installed prior to the deck being fitted
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

OK thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Beta 25 for now I think. When replacing the engine, did you take off all ancillaries and use a couple of able bodies to hand ball the old out/new in or use a crane?
    I don’t know! Lindsey Rufford of Seapower on the Orwell fitted the Beta-satisfied customer(15 years ago though!)

Hi Metabarca,

I had the work done about ten years ago by the Volvo Punta agents in Trieste and I'm sure they must have used a crane to lift out the old engine and put in the new. With the engine out, take advantage of the space to put in some really good soundproofing! And while you're at it, improve the thermal insulation for the fridge; there's none in the original boats! And have the exhaust system changed: the original one is no good with the new engine. Engine, mounting and all the work cost me €10,000 ten years ago (in Italy). For some reason, I'm unable to post the photo so please pm me with an email address and I'll send it!

Any recommendations on the best way to improve the thermal insulation on the "cool box" - it is on my list to do but I am not sure what approach to take. One recommendation is to drill a lot of holes and fill with 2 part foam but I am a little concerned about possible side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    Any recommendations on the best way to improve the thermal insulation on the "cool box" - it is on my list to do but I am not sure what approach to take. One recommendation is to drill a lot of holes and fill with 2 part foam but I am a little concerned about possible side effects.
    There was an article about this on the centurion site – here it is: http://centurion32.fr/forums/topic/g...e-sur-nos-c32/ –but yes, the recommendation was that. I have yet to fit my new fridge but hope to do so next month, and that's what I shall try...

Quote Originally Posted by Metabarca View Post
    There was an article about this on the centurion site – here it is: http://centurion32.fr/forums/topic/g...e-sur-nos-c32/ –but yes, the recommendation was that. I have yet to fit my new fridge but hope to do so next month, and that's what I shall try...
    In that case I will await your report with interest

You have flushed out another relatively new Centurion 32 owner! I bought Ulysses II in Lymington a couple of years ago and am now keeping her in Whitehaven. She has not disappointed.
    The boat had a new Beta 25 installed a few years ago while still on the South Coast - it seems a good match with the boat. The cool box doubles up well as a slow cooker when the engine has been run for an hour or so and is therefore useless for storing food - I have settled for using it as a convenient place to store the electric kettle when off shore power.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast