Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Here is an old advertisement I found from 1973 - the Centurions have had an excellent racing record, and I guess they should still have a pretty good rating today with age allowance (?)

One of the distinguishing features of the Centurion 32 was that for many years they used to compete in a "One Class" class in the Cape to Rio race (I know they did up until 2000, not sure if they still do). Their course record for the 3600 mile crossing is about 26 days - so averaging 140 miles a day - not bad for 24' LWL

The Centurions have virtually identical measurements to the Contessa 32 and so rate very similarly (the last IRC TCF I had was about 0.850). They can still be competitive on rating these days but much depends on the course and the weather. In my view they can compete on equal terms to windward, especially in heavy weather, when compared with a modern boat, but are less competitive on a run.

Of course their design (as with the Contessa) is very much a reaction to the old IOR rules, so the short LWL, small main and large overlapping Genoa all led to a very competitive rating when she was designed. The IRC is not so kind to those particular design features so for example Aeolus with her 100% jib gets a more competitive rating than Bedouin with the 145% Genoa, with the small advantage of the larger sail seeming to be more than compensated for with the better TCF

Default Not frequenting these forums so often these days

... I'm probably a little late to chip in my 2p worth.

Main differences I have seen between mk1 and mk 2 is the layout of the cockpit and possibly some of the internal fitting out. Mk1 seems to have main sheet across middle of the cockpit to end of boom, Mk2 has it just aft of the companionway and to a point about 18" in from the end of the boom. Obviously this had an impact on the cockpit lockers.

Aeolus is a Mk2 1973 model - I've not found any evidence of GRP with a "core" of any sort. However the gap between the headlining and the deck moulding is foam filled. Not sure if this is standard.

It does seem that they "stick" to an ownership for a long time. The previous owner of Aeolus was Dutch and had her for about 25 years before passing away, which seems to be a common trend amongst the few other Centurion 32 owners I have met over the years (the long ownership, not the death bit!)

Anyway, a rather cheeky post in one sense, Aeolus is for sale. Any one interested?

http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/boat/...6279&curr_id=1

Regards,
    Jeff.

Default Re: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Hi,
    Looking forward to replace my 2 bladed prop by the 3 blade folding Gori.
    Are you still using the MD2B with the Gori ? Can you drop me the model used ?
    15" or 16" ? pitch ?

ODeclav: this thread is seven years old. Luckily for you the original poster, Judders, is still active on the forums, although he seems mainly to confine himself to the Yacht Racing forum. You might be better dropping him a PM (private message) with your query.

And welcome to the forum. Assuming you have a Centurion 32: good boat
    All epigrams are false

Hi, I've got a Centurion, on which I've been doing some work. She was re-engined with a Volvo D1-30. I chose the Volvo because this appeared to be the only manufacturer offering a gearbox that was left-handed rather than right (does that make sense), which helps offset the problems associated with having the propshaft sticking out at an angle. Other owners had sail drives fitted to do away with this problem altogether. If you have a Centurion, I invite you to join the owners' forum (mainly in French) as everyone there is very helpful and can surely answer your query. Here's the link:
    http://centurion32.fr
    ad damnum pecuniae per navis

[QUOTE=ODeclav;5814634]Hi,
    Looking forward to replace my 2 bladed prop by the 3 blade folding Gori.
    Are you still using the MD2B with the Gori ? Can you drop me the model used ?
    15" or 16" ? pitch ?[/QUOT

Hello. I repowered my centurion w a universal m 25xp
    I need to change my prop ( right hand )
    What size and pitch ( 2 blade ) are u using on your boat

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    ODeclav: this thread is seven years old. Luckily for you the original poster, Judders, is still active on the forums, although he seems mainly to confine himself to the Yacht Racing forum. You might be better dropping him a PM (private message) with your query.

And welcome to the forum. Assuming you have a Centurion 32: good boat
    Although I did eventually get my hands on a Centurion, through the then SWMBO's father, I am yet to get one of my own sadly. It's on the bucket list for the future and I firmly believe that it is the best design for the racing that I do but at the moment it's a wee bit out of the budget still so I'll stick with the Impala for now.

As it goes, when I did sail Phoebe, she was one of the very best boats I ever sailed. Very quick upwind, a good seaboat and very comfortable.

Pretty sheerlines should be compulsory ... and, come to think of it, proper bows as well! What a pretty boat! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 3 View Post
    Pretty sheerlines should be compulsory ... and, come to think of it, proper bows as well! What a pretty boat! ...
    Kim Holman always designed good looking yachts
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast