Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Stop logging me off!

Is there any way to stop the session limit on my browser? I'm fed up with leaving YBW open and returning to it after half an hour's non-activity only to find I has logged me out. This is frustrating, especially on low bandwidth connection. I understand the security argument for doing this but I am old enough to decide when to log in and out of a website!

It could be your isp, as browsers don't typically log you off - I can keep browser windows open for days using IE, firefox, chrome etc, as long as I'm still connected to internet.

It could be if you are on low speed, or low bandwidth connection, that the connection is flaky, or the isp logs you off after a period of inactivity

Hi Brendan,

No, it's almost certainly YBW, not FF, because it is only YBW that logs me out (I remain logged in to my own blog for as long as my browser is open, for example) and it has happened both in the UK and in Turkey.

ShaunG is offline Registered User

Same here, happens with both FF and IE. I am and IT Techy and it seems to be a session timeout issue. i can't see a setting in the userCP to cover it, it seems to be 10 minutes of inactivity and the user login times out

Are you sure it's not some local security settings, or a control panel option "keep me logged on"? I just thought - this may be an option (tick box?) when you first log on.

I stay logged on to YBW forums for months, despite switching off or standby my laptop, disconnecting and plugging in somewhere else, replacing my office ethernet/broadband with dial-up from my mobile - never have to log in!
    Last edited by mikefleetwood; 18-09-09 at 11:34. Reason: Just thought of something

Hi Mike,

No, it's a session issue, I'm sure. I never allow my browser to stay logged in to any website, so I always log in manually when I open a new browser window. However once logged in I should stay logged in for as long as that window is open (i.e. a session with no server-side limit, which is what I thought YBW is set up as). The YBW website is logging me out after a period of inactivity, irrespective of the fact my browser window stays open.

The fact it is happening to Shaun and me but not Brendan or yourself suggests it is either a local setting I'm unaware of, or a server-side setting changed in the CP. If the latter then I don't know where to change it. Come to think of it, nor the former!

ShaunG is offline Registered User

Same as demonboy, a session probelm. The thing that occurs from reading demonboy's post but which makes no sense is that i also do not store log in details within the browser, but re-enter them for each session. I set IE and FF to clear all history, cookies etc at close down. i wonder if they are not using server side limits and others are not seeing the issue as they are re-logging in via their browser. it does not really make sense but that is the only common, anybody not using their browser to store log in details and not getting logged out?

No cookies? - maybe that's it?

I've got cookies enabled and I know that stores login session information (among other things).

Also, I allow Windows to remember my passwords for me - maybe it logs in for me each time and I don't notice. The likes of Brendan will know the facts behind this.

On thinking about it, the forum tells me when I last visited (in the "welcome" bit, above), so I must have logged out inbetween, so that looks like the automatic login is the key - I expect you've got it switched off (locally).

I get logged off as well, sometimes after only about 10 minutes inactivity (eg reading a long thread). It seems to need a mouse click every now and then to stay logged on. Only started happening a few days ago I think.
    I use Safari on OS X, and save the login info in the browser, but it's not set to log in automatically, only to fill in the username and password fields.
    Last edited by srp; 18-09-09 at 20:01.

Just for info: never been logged out, and I'm using several flakey Greek mobile phone services. My options: stay logged in. Cookies enabled, never deleted, password remembered. Browser: Gecko on Nokia.