Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two wheels...

Question Two wheels...

Dyflin's hilariously sweet photo reminded me to ask here:
    Am I the only one to think that the current trend of two wheeled cruisers is a silly fad, designed by Lewmar and Co to sell more kit? What about KISS? It seems to me they are just a recipe to increase the number of things which will go wrong in time....

I think they are a sensible design feature, when fitted to a boat that is wide enough aft to require them. When sailing to windward you want to be able to sit outboard to see the telltales on the jib. Once a boat gets large enough, a single wheel would either be unmanageable or would not permit sitting out.
    They also have the nice feature of clear access to the stern platform on a sugar scoop design.
    Finally, they do provide a level of redundancy on some aspects of the steering system. Minor point to be sure, but it exists nonetheless.
    If you don't like them, don't buy one, but they do have their place.
    Apartment for rent in Klosters, Switzerland http://goo.gl/HKIcgK

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerToo View Post
    Dyflin's hilariously sweet photo reminded me to ask here:
    Am I the only one to think that the current trend of two wheeled cruisers is a silly fad, designed by Lewmar and Co to sell more kit?
    I would have agreed with you, up till we chartered a twin wheel boat in the Med. Having a clear run from the cockpit to the stern was lovely at anchor when managing 3 kids in and out the water - plenty room to get them in and out without constant clambering round the wheel. Sailing it wasn't much difference - and in some cases in and out of harbour it was a bind when the throttle control was on the opposite side from where you wanted to be when mooring up, but otherwise it was a success.

I like to be able to sit against the lifelines and steer, this means a big wheel. Two standard size wheels is probably easier and does not need a slot in the cockpit/deck like on some half tonners etc.
    What I really dislike is small wheels that force you to steer from behind them all the time.

bilbobaggins is offline Registered User

When sailing to windward you want to be able to sit outboard to see the telltales on the jib

The better helmspeeps I've tripped over, in my long years before the mast, made a point of helming from leeward, precisely to watch the jib telltales, etc.

Or it could perhaps be 'cos they were cigarette smokers....

As for twin wheels, I'd always heard them described - on catamarans - as 'His and Hers', even when the pair of skippers weren't wed, but the likes of Sir RKJ and Sir Peter Blake on 'Enza'.....

( and before anyone jumps in to say 'There's only one wheel', peeps mustn't forget the 'OMiGawd' wheel in the dunnie )

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Interestingly, the solo round the world warriors seem to go for twin tillers. Less to break?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbobaggins View Post

The better helmspeeps I've tripped over, in my long years before the mast, made a point of helming from leeward, precisely to watch the jib telltales, etc.
    Where did I say whether they helmed from windward or leeward? I said outboard. The point applies equally, regardless of which side you want to drive from.
    Having said that, the better helmspeeps I've raced with and against tended to helm - when sailing to windward - from windward side except in light wind. I suspect you will see, if you review the video from the last America's Cup, most helmsmen made a point of driving from the high side. And switching at every tack.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Interestingly, the solo round the world warriors seem to go for twin tillers. Less to break?
    Less weight, and they don't spend as much time driving as fully crewed or round the cans boats.
    Last edited by bbg; 18-09-09 at 16:06.

Two Wheels, two Sails, two Keels, two Heads, Belt and Bracers

Adonnante is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Two Wheels, two Sails, two Keels, two Heads, Belt and Bracers
    Why not two hulls then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast