Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twister 28

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    London base but spend most of my time on boats

Default Twister 28

Does anyone have any information about these boats?

Quote Originally Posted by sailor d View Post
    Does anyone have any information about these boats?
    Yes - I have owned one for 12 years and I am entirely happy with her. What would you like to know?

Excellent seaboats, attractive looks, strongly built. People tend to keep them a long time.

There is a very good owners' association [the association is very good, I mean - I don't know about the owners]

www.twister.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    Yes - I have owned one for 12 years and I am entirely happy with her. What would you like to know?

Excellent seaboats, attractive looks, strongly built. People tend to keep them a long time.

There is a very good owners' association [the association is very good, I mean - I don't know about the owners]

www.twister.org.uk
    Thanks. I agree very pretty boats. I saw one in Mylor last week and then found one on the hard to have a look at the keel. Are they manageable short handed or even single handed. They look as though they might be a bit tricky astern and in tight marinas but probably good in a sea. what is the sailing like? Are they easy to handle? And downsides? Had a look on the org website, thanks for the link.

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Well, you've come to the right place.

Twister - undoubtedly the best yacht ever built, in my unbiased opinion.

Picture coming of keel - proper job, encapsulated, 2 tons of lead, nothing to fall off. Close to a 50% ballast ratio, not worth calculating the STIX, it'll be higher than almost anything else built in the last 30 years.

(taken just after xx years of antifoul had been blasted off, which explains the strange looking boot topping.)

Eminently manageable shorthanded - usually just me and Madame, and good for singlehanders. Myles Smeaton sailed one singlehanded to NZ, then did a pacific circuit on his own. My s/h voyages have been somewhat less ambitious. The rig is small and loads are low, so not too much muscle is required. I often refer to them as one-handed boats, coz you only need one hand to do most things.

Astern? A certain amount of sangfroid is required, but they are so manoueverable in other ways that there are elegant workarounds for most problems.

Yes, easy to handle.

Downsides? Space below - comfortable for two good friends, but you won't want to take a rugby team sailing. Cockpit OK for three, marginal for four. They come in three varieties; all wood, GRP hull and deck with wooden coachroof (composite) and all GRP. Composite boats sometimes develop leaks between deck and coachroof, though most will have been sorted with epoxy by now. Designed before gas was commonplace on boats, so some strange and possibly unsafe gas lockers around, but this is soluble. Ask me how. Don't expect mod cons like holding tanks, showers or hot water. Some boats have been updated to include these things, others haven't.

Another good point - a very well stayed rig. They don't fall over.
    Last edited by Twister_Ken; 21-09-09 at 11:42.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Well, you've come to the right place.

As one owner is fond of saying: "Not a bad line in them". Which is a compliment to the designer - Kim Holman

I have nothing useful to add to the OP, but just thought I'd add that they are one of the most attractive boats around, IMHO.

A

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    As one owner is fond of saying: "Not a bad line in them". Which is a compliment to the designer - Kim Holman
    Kim Designed some very nice boats & one or 2 nice IOR designs as well
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Thank you! Sounds like I should investigate further

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain

Pretty, easily short handed, bombproof, hold their value, excellent sea going characteristics,

flexible..... as a day boat or for crossing oceans.

Owners have a real love affair with their boats.

Two young women recently took their Twister and went to the Arctic, down to the Azores and across the pond and back.
    Last edited by Scotty_Tradewind; 27-09-09 at 23:52.
    You never get to where you want to go if you only travel on sunny days.

Twister - undoubtedly the best yacht ever built, in my unbiased opinion.

Picture coming of keel - proper job, encapsulated, 2 tons of lead, nothing to fall off. Close to a 50% ballast ratio, not worth calculating the STIX, it'll be higher than almost anything else built in the last 30 years.

Interesting comments, I seem to remember you not making the YBW cruise to Cherbourg a couple of years ago because the weather was a bit rough, so perhaps not as good as sentiment would have us believe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast