Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you wave?

maxi77 is offline Registered User

I must confess to being a waver too. It costs you nothing and you never know you may need their help later on. I also dip my ensign to RN warships too.
    Peter

AJB43 - spot on!

Oh, and my name's Pete and I'm a waver. It's been two days since my last wave and I know I'll feel the need to wave again in four days.
    What I lack in diplomacy, I make up for with less tact.

snooks is offline Registered User

What's the consensus on a ferry load of people?

Do you wave at all of them or just the ones who wave at you?....I must admit I feel like a muppet waving at a ferry, not for the kids and parents who have waved at me to start with, but for the people the deck below who think I've started it by waving at them, then they wave back, before you know it the whole ferry has a Mexican wave going round the decks!
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

I'll wave to anyone.....................it is nice to think that I may have friends
    I dip my ensign too when I see Grey Funnel Line.

I did notice when sailing in the Solent at the beginning of the month that fewer waved back than I am used to on the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Karouise View Post
    I'll wave to anyone.....................it is nice to think that I may have friends
    I dip my ensign too when I see Grey Funnel Line.

I did notice when sailing in the Solent at the beginning of the month that fewer waved back than I am used to on the East Coast.
    Trouble is, on a busy day in the Solent you could get RSI from waving.

As a moboer, it's always a bit tricky to know whether to wave or not, because you may or may not get a response. I tend to wait until some kind of eye contact has been established and then wave.

I got a very cheery wave from Evadne the other day - not sure if he'd recognised the boat or is just a naturally friendly type. The latter, I suspect.

I hate to bolster stereotypes, but subjectively, most of the non-wavers seem to have a bl** ens*gn

Off to sample the East Coast this weekend, so I'll be able to compare regions.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

I'm generally a waver and mostly people wave back even though I'm 70-80 and ugly. I sail a slightly prettier than average small AWB and I have noticed that I'm totally invisible to any boat I'm overtaking, especially bigger ones with see-through sails.
    I've obviously never come across wetspot because I've never seen anyone on a mobo look back to admire the carnage in their wake.

AliM is offline Registered User

I always wave - at everyone, including mobos and jetskis - they usually look slightly surprised and wave back - at least on the East coast they do.

The real challenge is to get the fishermen to wave back!

Just had a thought, if you can get a jetski driver to wave would they then fall off?

ricky_s is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jenku View Post
    I wave, but I have a "waving order":

1. Other sailboats: wave
    2. Slow wooden mobos: wave
    3. Plastic mobos: no wave, but return wave if boat behave seamanlike and/or has pretty girls aboard
    4. Big washy Gin Palace: no wave, no return
    5. Speedboats and jetskis: no comment needed.
    Mobo/Raggie war post. How original!

I wait until we are passing port to port and wave if we make eye contact. Most give a wave back, some look away.

ChattingLil is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AliM View Post
    I always wave - at everyone, including mobos and jetskis - they usually look slightly surprised and wave back - at least on the East coast they do.

The real challenge is to get the fishermen to wave back!
    must be a female thing! My experience exactly...

The fishermen wave on the Medway tho :-)
    A love of sailing does not necessarily equate to a love of boat maintenance

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast