snooks is offline Registered User

Default Burgee etiquette

OK I have a boat, I have flag halyards on port and starboard crosstrees/spreaders, I don't wear a defaced or non-red ensign, I'm not a member of a yacht club.

But I'm slowly gathering a collection of burgees, or at least I have the potential to gather a collection from various associations/rallies etc

So, taken for granted that the courtesy/club flags go at the top on starboard, then what?

Is it up to me where my pretty coloured flags go, or should the scuttlebut burgee go above/below the RYA? and should the RYA go above or below the Cruising Association? And how about owners associations burgees? and can they stay up when I'm not around/on board? or do I have to remember to take them down at night along with my not-so-red ensign? or can they stay to fade in the sun so I look like I've circled the globe numerous times?

If I have the scuttlebutt burgee flying will everyone from here come over and have a go at me about the latest issue of YM?

It's all very confusing you know!
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

EdWingfield is offline Registered User

Red face

It's all very confusing you know!

Its all bollox too, but soooo important to some skippers, Ha ha wait and see.
    Blow wind, rise storm,
    Ship ashore before dawn.

According to the http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/reg...etiquette.aspxon flag etiquette, a vessel may only fly one burgee (and that must be flown from the masthead or failing that the starboard spreader).

But then it goes on: "House flags are flown from the port spreaders. A house flag may indicate membership of an association (i.e. the RYA House Flag) or society or may be to indicate membership of another club, if the burgee of a more senior club is already being flown. More than one house flag may be flown on the port halyard, but with caution that they are flown in order of seniority."

The distinction between a burgee and a house flag is a new one to me, but I would interpret the RYA advice as: fly the burgee of the more senior club, or if local, the local club, from your starboard spreader; fly pretty much anything you like from the port spreader.

Edit: Apropos of EdWingfield's elegant post, yes, of course I know that Snooks is a metatroll.
    Last edited by Danny Jo; 21-09-09 at 21:00.

snooks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    More than one house flag may be flown on the port halyard, but with caution that they are flown in order of seniority
    Well that's just dandy, but how do I know the seniority?

ps what's a metatroll?
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    Well that's just dandy, but how do I know the seniority?
    In theory, seniority is determined by the age of the club. In practice, if it's got "Royal" in the name, it's the senior one. If you've got house flags for two clubs with Royal in the name, don't even think about flying them both, unless, that is, you are a metatroll.

ps what's a metatroll?
    A troll with his tongue in his cheek.
    Last edited by Danny Jo; 21-09-09 at 21:23. Reason: dodgy syntax