Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Immaculate boat, use it hard or compromise?

1 Keep the boat immaculate
    2 Use it, and don't worry about scuffs, and if the odd bit falls off, that is what boats are for
    3 Compromise
    4 Other

Definitely 2 but then I sail other people's Seriously though I have a few things I take care but generally I won't buy something that's so precious I'm gutted when it gets a few scars. I'd never be able to enjoy and expensive car or boat for that unless I could keep it for special occasions.

Limitless funds and I might be persuaded to have a Hunton and a Spirit in marina and a McClaren in the garage of course, provided I had a Nelson and a Rustler and my Santa Fe to hack around in.

one post and we have thread drift already. Hunton for me as well

If you have a boat and you use it, it does not follow that you have to rag the arse of it. Just use it and take care as best you can. As you say, accidents happen and that is just the norm.

Mal

SnaxMuppet is offline Registered User
    Location : Saltash, Cornwall, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe (don't ask which one because I don't kno

Ask yourself why you bought the boat? Is it to use or to look at?

If the second then leave it in the marina, only go out when the weather is perfect and with loads of competent crew and enjoy your Gin Palace.

If, like most of us, you bought it to use then use it and use it as much as you want to use it. But recongnise that if you leave the mooring then things will get broken and things will wear out.

For me, the most important thing is regular maintenence. Yes, regularly service the engine but maintenence is much more than that. Regularly go through the boat and mend or replace bits that are broken or need attention. Do it as you go throughout the year and nothing will get left and forgotten about. Also, you don't end up with a hefty bill when you try to put right a year of repairs all at once. If it means lifting out then try to do all items that need the boat lifted together to cut down on lifting fees or perhaps, if it is a small job that can be done betwen tides, dry out against a wall or on a scrubbing grid as that is either free or cheaper than a lift.

Boats are in a very hostile environment and need constant and regular care to keep then in top condition... it is the nature of the beast. But it is worth the effort knowing that when you go to sea everything is in fully working order.
    Last edited by SnaxMuppet; 03-10-09 at 09:05.

epervier is offline Registered User

Why would you want to use it, "hard"

you buy the boat, then use it.

if you want to buy and keep it in the same state, you'd have to leave it in the delivery cradle in cling film, what's the point of that?
    My recommendation is, unwrap, add to water, enjoy, if you just want to look at it, take a photo, it's a lot cheaper
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

"For me, the most important thing is regular maintenence. Yes, regularly service the engine but maintenence is much more than that. Regularly go through the boat and mend or replace bits that are broken or need attention. Do it as you go throughout the year and nothing will get left and forgotten about. Also, you don't end up with a hefty bill when you try to put right a year of repairs all at once. If it means lifting out then try to do all items that need the boat lifted together to cut down on lifting fees or perhaps, if it is a small job that can be done betwen tides, dry out against a wall or on a scrubbing grid as that is either free or cheaper than a lift."

Spot on...... my boat lives just round the corner and is fixed on a strict regime (it breaks I fix it).Small/cheap stuff now, arm and leg stuff at annual lift out.
    It is more or less always "ready to go" if time/money/weather/wife allow.

Hull of boat is covered in "lock rash".Asked Gel coat man to give estimate on sorting scratches/dings/gouges,he said "How much have you got",the worst ones get sorted the rest disappear if you do not look in the first place.

powerskipper is offline Registered User

Default It can be done

The school boat I work on a lot is 25 odd years old and she is very nearly immaculate, we do spend time keeping her that way but we also use her as she is a working boat.

Default Use and fix

We sail 5,000 plus hard miles a year. We keep her as nice as possible and fix anything that needs fixing ASAP. I am quite good with GRP, gel coat, 2 part paint and a buffer...you can hardly see the dings!

We took the Capt. and Bridge Officers of a Royal Fleet Auxillary supply ship sailing in Grenada WI last week, lee rail in the water all afternoon. Being non-sailors they kept asking questions about 'ship's stability'
    "Remeber, experience only means that you screw up less often"

Phil

Mymobo is offline Registered User

Use and enjoy. But keep it clean and good condition.
    Life is short spend it on a boat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast