Default vodafone dongle inTurkey

Well just got one and trying it out now.
    Not at the boat, at home at the moment, just five minutes away from Marina so signal strength should be comparable.
    (got full signal)

100 TL for the dongle (including 1Gig), 20 TL for the PAYG sim card, plus I added an extra 1 Gig at 30 TL.

Took 20 minutes to arrange at Vodafone shop in Istanbul airport on my way here (Yalikavak, Bodrum) They only needed to take a photocopy of my passport.

There is also a Turkcell version called VNN or similar here, looked into that last trip, but they wanted local bank reference and proof of this, that and the other etc so not very visitor/tourist friendly.

Will be taking the netbook around with me for next few days just to check out coverage, but looks good at the moment. Not yet checked out Vodafone's coverage map.

Will report back over next few days regarding connection reliability etc.

This was a public service announcement from Mike, just in case it might help any of you in the future.

Cheers all

Mike

Hi Mike,
    I was looking at those in the phone shop i Marmaris and am very interested...please keep us updated with how it all goes,,Cheers Colin,

Did you have to provide an address in Turkey? (I'll be visiting Turkey next year but won't have a local address.)

Quote Originally Posted by Artic Warrior View Post
    ...please keep us updated with how it all goes,,
    Seconded.

Don't write off Turkcell. Friend of mine came up with a whopping deal from them recently with enough airtime to keep him online all day (providing he's not downloading films etc). Don't think he had to supply an address but normally in these situations a marina address will suffice. He did, however, have to ask for the service; it wasn't something they advertised (at least not in English).

Can't remember the details so I'll find out more and post them back here.
    Latest video: http://bit.ly/ftb_106

As promised, here are the details.

- This service is available to pre-paid Turkcell customers, despite my friend being told that it was for contract customers only. He suggested you find someone in the Turkcell shop who knows what they are talking about.

- You purchase 290 kontors (that's about 50tl) for your internet connection, which is outside of your normal phone credit. The person in the shop punches in an SMS to set this up for you

- This gives you 4Gb per month

- My friend reckons he gets upwards of 60kbs speed, which is faster than my marina connection!

- He struggles to use up 4Gb a month. He video Skypes, plays the odd youtube vid, downloads Windows updates, emails, photos etc etc.

- Because it's 3G it means you can stay online whilst answering phone calls on the same phone

I'm suggesting Turkcell as an alternative to Vodafone because, and I'm guessing here, I suspect its coverage is going to be far greater, especially in those remote anchorages.

BTW - no need to submit an address. You're using your already-registered phone.

Update as requested.

No address required, they just took a photocopy of my passport.

Demonboy: Not sure if I read your post correctly, I assume your friend is talking about internet access on his smart phone as you mentioned the extra kontors outside of the phone limit.
    Please correct me if I got the wrong end of the stick.
    Sounds like a good option though.

Just found another function tonight, well vodafone system found it for me when it gave me a warning that my limit was approaching critical.
    WHAT?!!!! I think , just bought the bugger and should have plenty of download left.
    Then realised that they have a "SET LIMIT" function. So you can set warning levels to help you stop going crazy on downloads, the default level was at 50 Meg, now as I have 1 Gig pre paid, I changed it to a more reasonable level.
    Next week, SWMBO arrives, so will set it back.

I like the dongle version as we can use it plug and play on any laptop. We will leave it here in Turkey for when SWMBO or any others that use our apartment need it.

Also today found out that there is a micro SD card slot built ino the dongle, so can use it as a portable memory stick too.
    It also came with a 1m USB extension lead.

Default Huawei modem dongle (Vodafone)

I've been using one in Greece during the past year.

Be aware though that it doubles battery consumption if you're using a laptop without charger.

It is a pretty agricultural piece of kit, but does work fairly well.

I've been investigating internet access with prepaid Turkish SIMs.

I've posted what I've found out on the PrePaidGSM forum here.

That's a useful link. Thanks for that, Dave.