Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PaulR is offline Registered User

we have been on deep;water swinging mooring for - gosh - must now be 20+ years - so far (touch wood) no damage and not aware of any extra insurance - suspect more change of boat being damaged and more wear and tear if in a marina - our mooring includes car parking and water taxi to our boat so we do not use a dinghy at all - re power (lectric) can see the appeal of plug in in a marina but when we want it we go to a marina as a visitor and plug in so overall no great loss - other advantages of the mooring - ease of getting off and on it - no fiddling around with fenders and warps - changing views and you can sit onboard and chill - downsides - yes we do have to lug gear on and off ferry which only runs restricted hours - have to go ashore to get shower at our local club (but in fairness we can tie up to club or boatyard jetty to do so free of charge) overall we recommend it

Spent 18 months in a marina and then moved to a swinging mooring in Chichester. Much happier on the mooring and find it easier to get away if I'm only able to go on my own. Strangely enough since she moved to the mooring I've always been able to rustle up a crew. Electric hasn't been a problem, no big demands for power. She doesn't use a lot of diesel so a couple of gallons in a jerry can occasionally but usually try to fill up whilst away. I get cheap bottled water for tea and coffee rather than use tank water.

I need a bigger tender so that I don't have to wait for flat calm to get out to her but that's all really.

Another vote for moorings, the cost difference is not huge but I think a mooring is more enjoyable: easier to leave and pick up, a trip out to the boat feels like being on the water even if I dont go off the mooring. The boatyard runs a launch when we have visitors and a jetty we can go alongside for water, electricity and loading large amounts of gear ( eg begining and end of the summer cruise). The boat lies head to the weather which is better for it than straining at mooring lines. The lack of instant water and electricity doesnt bother me and the occasional visit to a marina on holiday is a treat. The boatyard has storage for the dinghy and car parking. When it is just myself I row out, after all people go rowing at the gym I just do it in the tender. The main thing is it lets me sail single handed: I can pick up the mooring in all sensible winds but getting a long keeler in and out of a marina berth can be tricky. Dont analyse the cost too much, go for what suits your sailing.

Another vote for a mooring. I'm in Chichester, just by Sparkes Marina. Total cost of about 1,100 per annum gives car parking, use of showers etc for April to end Oct. Easy to come into marina to pick up / drop off friends & family. Not sure about costs over the winter - I take the boat home. I use my inflatable to row out - which is wet when windy but lovely on calm evening after a long sail. Planning to get a bigger dinghy to keep in the marina, which I think is an extra 250 or so.

Elessar is offline Registered User

In Chi Harbour I've been on a swinging mooring, a drying marina and a full access marina.
    On the Thames I've been on fore and aft moorings and marinas.

I'd use a mooring if I was skint, but for me the ease of access for maintenance and cleaning makes the marina the best parking space. Use buoys or your anchor when you're on holiday, but keep the boat where it is convenient. Cleaning is the biggie, my boat was never as clean as I like it to be when I wasn't in a marina. More 5hite, no hosepipe, hard to get the household vax out to the boat, when you're hanging off the side to get that stain off some prat goes zooming past, all in all just too difficult.

As for moorings you can't use in the winter, well the best boating is in the winter, taking the boat out is such a waste as far as I'm concerned. 6 weeks out max to do the jobs then back in for me.

I've often seen collisions in marinas, but my boat has only been damaged on a buoy. Again in Chi harbour it was hit 3 times (i was on the buoy for one season) one of which left a hole clean through the boat. No notes left etc. Anecdotal only I know so useless at proving a point, but it goes to form my opinion.

Don't get the point about it being quicker to get off a mooring. From the moment of the car arriving in marina, including parking, carrying stuff, throwing it aboard and getting the boat motoring down the river takes less than 10 minutes (my wife stows the stuff an puts the kettle on whilst I cast off and get us moving, she appears from the companionway just as we exit the river usually) Spose if you have to lock out and it's busy it can be a bore, but if it's busy the lock is usually sociable.

I get Chubby's point that you're "on the boat" once you get in the dinghy, but hey I'm "on the boat" in 10 minutes and I don't have to go back to a landing stage to collect Mrs E and the stuff. (usual rule is she doesn't do dinghies unless it's bikini weather or we've arrived somewhere like herm when her usual reticence is forgotten.)

Drying marinas are a good cost saving if you're retired or can otherwise sail when you like, but if you're working it restricts boat use too much. Off work for 2 days, check, weather ok check. Bugger the tide's out. Anything that wastes good boating time is no good.

So full access marina for me as long as I can afford it.
    Last edited by Elessar; 05-10-09 at 20:39.

We have had a variety of moorings and marina berths in Portsmouth and the area over the years. Currently we are on a mooring with Gosport Boatyard - they have a good ferry service out to the boats and so you don't need to have your own dinghy (that reduces the costs and the hassle). As such we don't really notice any significant extra cost over keeping the boat in a marina (we are happy with the boat on the buoy all year if we are not wintering ashore). We do have a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged but no genny.

The only real difference is that we do spend more on visitors berths in marinas, spending probably on average about 5-10 additional nights in the local marinas (for the occasional plug-in or to do jobs for which it is helpful to be able to walk ashore).

The big disadvantage with the buoy is working on the boat, you need to be a lot more organised in terms of having all the tools and bits you need for a task beforehand than if you can just walk down to a chandlery.

Look, I think we did this on the previous thread about Chi!

No, don't do it, swinging moorings are horrible - go for a nice marina in, say Brighton :-)

Your battery will go flat, your boat will get grubby, and you'll probably drown in the dinghy.

Er, year 1 on the mooring, I spent the cost difference on heating, year 2; new sails, year 3; Walker Bay - this year I donno, maybe upgrade the instruments or solar and a fridge...
    "when the ship arrives in a wine country, there the master shall procure them wine to drink." Article XVII, Rules Of Oleron

Previous boat was on a swinging mooring in Portland Harbour for sixteen years, in May to Sept, didn't sleep well at home when it is blowing a hooley on the coast, riser shackle failed one year and put the boat on the shore line. You knew when it was too rough to go anywhere as you couldn't launch the dingy to get to the boat. Winter storage was always a problem. Looking back, it was quite expensive for what was on offer.
    Current boat on a fore and aft on a river bank so as safe as houses, hence stay in all year, been there nine years now. Dingy and parking in boat yard, launch from slip. Costs low, well under 1k P.A. Very satisfied.
    For:
    Great when it is too rough to go anywhere, wife likes bird watching, total tranquility over night and I sleep well at home when it is blowing a hooley on the coast.
    Against:
    One hour twenty to get to sea, mooring lines get mucky when boat is off mooring, swell from inconsiderate mobo**tards that go up the river causing excessive wash, difficult getting off mooring when wind is blowing boat onto bank, leaving and returning is tide height driven, but that is just part of planning.
    Other factors that I consider neutral:
    Water and fuel filled up when away, batteries kept up by wind gen, power tools run from mains gen.

We have never had a boat in a marina - she has always been on a mooring.
    I agree with all of the for and against arguments for moorings and marinas posted above - one reason why we do not have a marina berth is 'cos there aren't any!
    So we have got used to paddling out to the mooring in the Avon Redcrest.
    It is hassle though, especially re carting provisions, fuel, water, tools and people out and back in the dinghy
    And when we come ashore, we just put the Redcrest on the roof rack (fully inflated) and take it home (only about 10 miles to drive).
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://doyleguides.com/barbados.html

I've used a series of moorings but for the last three years I have been on a pontoon in a marina costing 1400 pa for my 36 footer. Apart from SWMBOs preference, the key issue has been peace of mind in bad weather. In the marina I know that someone will check my ropes and fenders if there is a blow. On a mooring, it has to be me rowing out to the boat.

I guess in the end it depends on how much extra the marina costs you and how much that money matters to you. For me the 1400 extra ( a mooring would be free) is well worth it. When I started sailing, the money would have mattered more - needed for a growing family.