Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reeds Astro tables - anybody used them?

I've just finished my YMO theory and I'm looking to put it into practice on this year's ARC. I've bought a sextant and a copy of the Reeds Astro tables for the purpose.

My issue is that the Reeds tables are rather different (especially for stars) from the Air Tables used in the course. I'd be really glad to discuss with anyone who has used these tables 'in anger'.

Perhaps send me a PM...?

Yes, they are different. They're also simpler. I found that out there in the real sea you want the simplest route from sextant reading to location. The Reed's method is simpler

Buy Tom Cunliffe's 'Celestial Navigation', about the same modest thickness as the tables, for a helpful compatible guide. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestial-Na...=pd_rhf_shvl_1

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    Yes, they are different. They're also simpler. I found that out there in the real sea you want the simplest route from sextant reading to location. The Reed's method is simpler

Buy Tom Cunliffe's 'Celestial Navigation', about the same modest thickness as the tables, for a helpful compatible guide. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestial-Na...=pd_rhf_shvl_1
    Thanks - but I have got a copy and I don't think it is really compatible - its table extracts are from the Air Tables. My problems are (for example) that Reeds doesn't offer the available stars by day. Also Reeds assumes the use of the 'Versine Method' of plotting using an EP rather than a Chosen Position.

I'm sure it is possible to use it - just trying to get my brain around the differences!

Why not buy some Air Tables - Celestair a US company - print a commercial edition, they are identical in content to the UK version but slightly smaller format. Retail in the UK about 15.00 per Vol.
    You may only need one volume depending on your intended sailing latitudes (Vol.2 is 0-40, Vol 3 covers 39-89) (Vol.1 is for Selected Stars and is the only one that dates - new edition every 5 years).

You would have to buy a Nautical Almanac but again the US commercial version is about 20.00, not much different from the Reeds Astro which you would need to buy each year anyway.

The downside is having to carry extra books, the upside is you already know the method.

The Sea Chest Nautical Bookshop sells them 01752 222012.

There are also some Celestial Proforma sheets on the website below.
    Cockpit Cards
    Encapsulated data etc

timbartlett Guest

I think you might be confusing two quite different books.
    The Reeds Astro Almanac includes all the essential data that you would expect from The Nautical Almanac, but in a more compact form (eg it gives data at two-hour intervals rather than one-hour)
    But it does not include anything from the Sight Reduction Tables. The versine and log cosine tables are a compact alternative, but there is no reason why you shouldn't use the Reeds book for the data and Air Sight Reduction Tables for the calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanD View Post
    Thanks - but I have got a copy and I don't think it is really compatible - its table extracts are from the Air Tables. My problems are (for example) that Reeds doesn't offer the available stars by day. Also Reeds assumes the use of the 'Versine Method' of plotting using an EP rather than a Chosen Position.

I'm sure it is possible to use it - just trying to get my brain around the differences!
    It doesn't matter whether you use an EP or a Chosen Position to obtain a single position line or a fix.
    The intercepts will be longer or shorter, maybe Away or Towards, but the position lines will be the same for all practical purposes.
    Last edited by JayBee; 07-10-09 at 22:14.

This is all so 'last century!'

Can't you just phone someone up and ask them?

Buy Tom Cunliffe's 'Celestial Navigation', about the same modest thickness as the tables, for a helpful compatible guide. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestial-Na...=pd_rhf_shvl_1[/QUOTE]

i tried tom cunliffs book for over 2 years could not get past 2 chapter after learning from another book i found a mistake in cunliffs book i had this verifyed by old ocean comercial skipper
    no wonder i could not learn from it

i found a mistake in cunliffs book
    Is that the 'left-handed sextant' mistake - or is it the other one?

Tim Bartlett's RYA Astro book also has a 'mishtook'. The question arises - is it the same one as in Tom Cunliffe's...?

Quote Originally Posted by roy-the-boat View Post
    i tried tom cunliffs book for over 2 years could not get past 2 chapter after learning from another book i found a mistake in cunliffs book i had this verifyed by old ocean comercial skipper
    no wonder i could not learn from it
    A genius observation (OK, sorry, that was sarcastic.) So you learned about astro but couldn't get past the second chapter of TC's book which is notable for its simplicity - but you blame the author not yourself for your incomprehension?!

And you point to an alleged error in the book (most have at least one) to support your theory that the problem can't lie with you?!

I'm sure your English teacher in primary school once made a spelling mistake too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast