Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Useful boating accessory....

I can't help thinking they'd sell more if they called it something different...

http://www.jenackscanvas.com/fannyflaps.html

Andy
    Free guitar lessons: www.justinguitar.com

Fascinating! One would think that the manufacturers might have googled the name to see what surfaced before settling on the name - in fact what were you googling for when you found the site??

I have never quite understood how American English and English can have a 'fanny' as opposite sides of the body !. Pity the poor american woman who went into a shop over here and asked for 'fanny protection'...

When SWMBO and I were out in South Carolina we went to a typical Southern outdoor dance and BBQ. When the announcer told the audience to get on the grass and shag we wondered what we had come to ! Then we realised, 'shagging' is a type of dancing.
    Going into an American Post Office and asking to borrow a rubber got some strange looks as well.
    Any more ?

Chris

If you want to scrounge a cigarette from someone, don't ask if you can bum a ***.

ADLS is offline Registered User

While on a US/UK joiny venture project and when asked why I was late for dinner I answered "While driving to a flat the car suffered a puncture and the tyre in the boot was flat" there were lots of blank looks around the table, when one guy blurts out, "he means while looking for an apartment he got a flat and the tire in the trunk was flat.
    Former owner of Lazy Days
    A Dunkirk Little Ship

An Australian bishop was giving a lecture in west coast America. To emphasise the informality of his approach, he said his parishioners were quite used to seeing him visiting the outback in his shorts. There were gasps; to the Amerericans this meant him visiting the outside toilet in his underpants.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTribe View Post
    If you want to scrounge a cigarette from someone, don't ask if you can bum a ***.
    Nor do you ask if anyone else is going out to "smoke a ***" either!

mjcp

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogsailing View Post

Any more ?

Chris
    While staying in a hotel in the US SWMBO got back to the room to find that one of the lights didn't work. Went down to reception and reported that one of the bulbs had gone. "Gone, Mam?" and a baffled look was all the concierge could manage.
    ۞

You'll also get a blank stare in the US if you talk about a "bum bag" - they call 'em "Fanny Packs"

Oh - and if an Australian asks you for Durex, don't take offence: he's just after some Sellotape!
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Quote Originally Posted by Tiercel View Post
    - in fact what were you googling for when you found the site??
    It was passed to me by a friend - I'll have to ask

Andy
    Free guitar lessons: www.justinguitar.com