Default stuck in blyth update

as suggested i am giving a update on my boat that had to put into blyth marina due to 1 engine failing.
    the duff engine appeared to of had a coolant leak that didnt register on the temp gauge.
    due to a pipe that had worn through over the years with vibration.
    so with the help of tony agar deliveries and his crew we eventually got her back to ipswich.
    on one good engine, but what seems like a slipping clutch.(only engages at higher revs)
    phew !!!!
    so the engine had to be removed, through the saloon floor and out through the patio doors, phew !!!
    then transported to engine refitters in yarmouth. could find a soul to d othe work in the northeast apart tfrom one comapny who said only way to d othe work is remove part of the flybridge.(11k)...yes ok guys....
    she comes out of the water on wed, we hope........
    any ideas where i could earn several thousand quid, soon please....

carlton is offline Registered User

I've been watching your drama unfold - congrats on getting her home. Must have been a bit hairy, being used to two engines. Well done. Hope the pain of the repair bill's not too bad...

Divemaster1 is offline Registered User

Congraulations!!!

Great news that the engine can be removed relatively easy...

also now listening to you regarding engaging at higher revs... one of my Detroits had a similar issue with neading what appeared to be 6 - 700 rpm to engage.... it appeared that the electro mechanical gauges was out of sync with the actual rpm... as such when I managed to get the mechanical gauges working, it transpired that she was ideling at 350 RPM... no where near what she needed to bring the oil pressure in the gearbox up to engage... she needed at least 450 for that (that's where the governors on mine are set to engage and hold 450 - 900 as stamped on the governors.... but it proved that she was in-tune as she idled well even this low...). These engines fire at each stroke, so at 500 RPM they sound like 1000 on a four stroke, soe easy to make wrong judgement at low RPM's.... after 1200 they sound more like the four strokes from inside and in engine room, apart from the exhaust note that is....

So... if only a couple of hundred RPM up from what appears to be idle, do check the actual idle on the engien before thinking of any major surgery...

Also, do you have a Detroit mechanic down there ... or do you want me to check if there are any North Sea bears down there that can help you out?
    Last edited by Divemaster1; 19-10-09 at 23:13.
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

hlb is offline Registered User

Hmm, not easy to read among the type'os. But the engines should go back in via the back doors. OK it takes a big fork lift truck. Else a little one and an A frame. But they came out that way, so why not back. Else maybe a crane then an A frame and girder to take the engine into the boat.

Are you saying 11 grand for the whole job, or just putting engine back in the boat.??

Quote Originally Posted by hlb View Post

Are you saying 11 grand for the whole job, or just putting engine back in the boat.??
    Hope that was for two engines ...removal (through flybridge), re-build and re-fit...

Loads of options for these engines... but I guess that one engine removal, complete re-build (to "as new" factory standard) and re-fit... Personally, I'd re-build the one bank only (V8's) which have the seized piston ring... the other bank appears OK (the other bank is not far off recomended compression "off factory" ... and I bet theat this was not done at 600 RPM (which is what Detroit states), but at idle which may be have been lower than 450 RPM...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

no the 11k was for the removal of the flybridge so a overhead crane could lift out the engine. then there is cost of refit of duff engine.
    i wasnt sure if that company were serious or a wind up. either way the engines are coming out via the double patio doors.......we hope.

i had a look around ec diesels place in yarmouth and it looks very professional Alf.
    their test bed is something to be seen and the finished product looked all sqeeky clean.
    until they get the engine in their workshops i am not sure what the work will be required.
    james.

oppps. sorry Alf, just adding.......the original test of compression was done by mitchells, i am told they are the detroit guys......so i presume they knew what were doing. .....
    well cost me £600 to find out.....
    would you like job ???

Mitchells would know their Detroit engines ... not necessary boats, as they are mostly commercial.

Just make sure that whomever does the job, is supervised by someone who know the 2 strokers..... and preferrably know the 92's inside out.

Glad that you got the boat "home" without further hassle... and in respect to "the job" ... I am afraid that that would be un-reasonable ... and if I were to charge my current day rate and travel etc., it would not be the cheaper option for you...
    Regards, Alf