Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Default Milford Haven - local advice welcomed

[I posted this on the general YM forum and it was suggested that this would be a better place, So ...]

Folks

All being well, I'll soon be picking up a new-to-me boat in Milford Haven. My plan is to stick her on a pontoon there for a week or two while I check the inventory, augment as require, get some local trips in and prepare for the delivery trip home.

However, I know nothing - practically - of the area, and I could really do with some advice. In particular ...

* Where would be a good place to keep a boat for a couple of weeks? Neyland marina? Milford marina? Somewhere else? I'd prefer a pontoon because I expect to be doing a lot of coming and going with stuff.

* What chandlers are there in the area? Any particularly good ones?

* Can I reasonably plan to do this without a car - ie are there berths within walking distance of supermarkets and so on - or should I plan to drive down?

Many thanks in advance for an advice anyone can give.

Smile

hi welcome to the bristol channel forum. staying at milford marina has a lot of posatives you are less than 200 metres from supermarkets train station you have windjammer marine on your doorstep (reccomended).you can time the locks (not as frequent in winter)to have anice sail to the heads and back. or you can go up with the tide and explore the upper reaches of the cleddau and back or pick up a mooring and stay the night. they are a friendly lot in the marina and pick up a lot of local knowledge for your journey north you have more places to bolt going up the irish coast.

Agree with Mr Bloto . Milford Marina ticks all the boxes you listed .Walking distance from Train station Tescos chandleries etc.

Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    Agree with Mr Bloto . Milford Marina ticks all the boxes you listed .Walking distance from Train station Tescos chandleries etc.
    Thanks, guys. I have phoned Milford Marina and had a very friendly reception. So that's that settled, at least. Can you recommend a set of sailing directions? Something which covered me up to Holyhead would be particularly good - I'm fine for Ireland, the Irish Sea and the IoM.

Imrays Bristol Channel Pilot will get you up through Jack Sound and Ramsey sound. Also lots of info about Milford Haven area. Not sure which pilot book is best for the rest of the passage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Guide-Pe.../dp/0852889909

That will get you around and up to Cardigan bay. Good for tidal streams, and a personal friend.

Smile

when you get to milford marina local kwoledge will put you in right direction. personally i would go outside islands catch the begining of the north going tide head for fishguard, then aberysthwyth and then see what weather is like and then up through menai straights there is racing on weekends at milford marina there is a yacht club in gellyswick bay. marthas vinyard. or if you go across to the point house in angle bay there is always a couple of lifeboat men in the bar who will put you right i think you will find that they are a friendly bunch

Quote Originally Posted by mrbloto View Post
    when you get to milford marina local kwoledge will put you in right direction. personally i would go outside islands catch the begining of the north going tide head for fishguard, then aberysthwyth and then see what weather is like and then up through menai straights
    Thanks very much. I'm definitely planning, though, to avoid the Menai Straits ... far too scary, and a bit of a distraction on the way north. Basic plan, in sophisticated navgational terms, is "Leave Milford Haven, turn right, miss Anglesey, skim past the Isle of Man and look out for Barrow Head"

Milford is the marina near shops etc but Neyland has better marine services and chandlers. The distance between the two requires a car.

Just done the trip up the Irish sea twice this last year. Where you stop depends on your crewing / endurance / boat. Fishguard is an anchorage and not overly protected. Aberystwyth is a marina and a reasonable stop over. Pwllheli is well equipped with marina and chandleries and well sheltered but other than Aber, there isnt much really between Pwllheli and Milford.

Default A vote for Neyland

Spent a couple of days in Neyland last week waiting out a blow on my trip north from Plymouth, echo the above reference Neyland marina, very friendly and helpful, excellent facilities and a good chandlery with cafe in the Marina complex and a very helpful lady who procured some vital spares by O/N delivery. Dale Sailing a couple of hundred yards away with a larger wellstocked chandlery hoist and engineering services capable of just about any job even at short notice is also very useful. (Lift out, replace Cutlass bearing and rope cutter drop back in, all within 24 hrs)
    Best way North with a 24 hr weather window IMHO is straight up to Holyhead, bit of rest then on up, Kirkcudbright can then be done by day sails, Holyhead - Douglas - Whitehaven -Kirk.
    Worked for me anyway!