Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    spinny39 is offline Registered User

Smile Mini charcoal heater -fab!

Just bought one of these a couple of weeks ago, now fitted, and it's fab!

Amazing amount of heat from a 20cm x 10cm x 36cm unit.. only a 3 or 4" hole required in the coachroof (2" flue).. and it's heating the whole of my 29 footer, even permeating into the forepeak..

My friend bought the smaller one for his 24 footer and it's doing a great job too..

A handmade, well engineered, very efficient and economical piece of kit!

If anyone's interested look at:

www.force10engineering.com

or give Frank a call.. very helpful guys based in Devon

Smile

Looks just what I'm looking for to heat my 9.7m gaff cutter. I'll get on it!

Kilter is offline Registered User

Looks good does that!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinkwazi View Post
    Looks just what I'm looking for to heat my 9.7m gaff cutter. I'll get on it!
    Now a couple of weeks on, and although it hasn't been overly cold, my biggest problem is keeping the heat down!

I mounted it as low as possible (allowing enough room to release the dust box) and no longer have to tog up in wooly socks etc..

I can't believe the output of this little heater.. I've banked it up before going to bed at 10.30/11'ish a couple of times and it's actually still been warm at 5/6am!

Highly recommended!

Looks very good to me Spinny but is it messy to refuel?

I once had a charcoal heater [different make to yours] on my boat which chucked out loads of heat but when the top flap was opened to refuel it a great cloud of black smoke billowed out. This defect put me off charcoal heaters.

It was a home-made thing and it might have been better with a larger diameter flue.

Another question: how do you light it?
    Last edited by parsifal; 28-10-09 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    Looks very good to me Spinny but is it messy to refuel?

I once had a charcoal heater [different make to yours] on my boat which chucked out loads of heat but when the top flap was opened to refuel it a great cloud of black smoke billowed out. This defect put me off charcoal heaters.

It was a home-made thing and it might have been better with a larger diameter flue.

Another question: how do you light it?
    Hi.. once lit and glowing the charcoal doesn't smoke so re-fueling is easy and smoke free..

I've tried different methods of lighting it over the last two weeks (trial and error!) and have settled on:

1. a few chunks of firelighter on top of the grate
    2. then sometimes a bit of torn paper, sometimes not
    3. some small pieces of lumpwood charcoal
    4. moving to charcoal briquettes once glowing hot.. these burn more slowly as they are more compacted..
    5. have also tried 'Homefire' smokeless fuel (chopped up a bit as the coal briquettes are about 3" oval)

One thing I have learnt is to just leave it alone for about 20mins after lighting to allow it to settle into smoke-free burning..

Frank, the maker, said they've burnt driftwood on theirs but you have to clean the flue regularly..

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that.

Seems like a great success, simple to use and simple to install.

'Er Indoors now wants to know when I'm going to fit one!

Hello Spinny39!
    I recently came across your blog on ybn.com telling about your purchasing a "mini Charcoal heater for your 29' boat and how good a job it does on heating. I went to the website for force10engineering.com but somehow or another I didn't get them but some other outfit in Japan. Can't explain that one, but I went back to Force a 2nd time and I 'think' I my e-mail went through but haven't heard from them so far. You gave the deminsions of your boat in cm's, but I'm not sure how to convert cm's in to feet or inches as I'm not from England, but the US. I have a metal barn that is 24' wide X 32' long and I'm interested in something to make it more comfortable to work in on very cold days, not to heat it up to 70 degrees but at least not freezing! Can you give me any help on the conversion of area sizes? Can you also tell me what I could expect to pay for a charcoal heater like you have in your boat? Do you have any idea what the weight is for just the burner part? I could always get the right pipe size here for the exhaust. I noticed too, that your information is from 2008 - 2009, I just hope you keep tabs on updates with ybn.com Thanks for any help or direction you would be able to provide.
    Thanks, Earl USA - State of Kentucky

DownWest is offline Registered User

Earl,
    This type of heater would be pretty useless in your 32 X25 ft work shop, mainly because of the cost of charcoal and the heat output from what is a very small stove. Conversions are about 30cm to a ft. (more accurately 25.4 mm/ inch). For your use, a wood stove conversion of a 50 gal drum would be a cheap option. The Mother Earth News used to have lots of stuff like that (is it still going?) Kits for the door assembly and plans were usually advertised. I am assuming that your bit of KY has lots of woodland. For your original idea, try Force 10 Marine.

Andrew

NickRobinson is online now Registered User

Hi
    Does the cabin top get very dirty? (outside)
    Nick