Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    tcm is offline Registered User

Default Scary Questions to ask at upcoming arc seminars

The arc seminars start on 9th Nov and i am very keen. Ooh yes. They're experts. But i don't want to ask dull question like "how long does it take for carrots to go maky" - I want reall ooer questions. Eg

"what's the highest ever wind speed recorded or reported during an ARC transat?"

"When a shark follows the boat about 20metres r so behind the stern, is there an easy way to tell if it's a Great White or a Mako?"

"I have total of four crew but only three bodybags, is that ok?"

Any others?

npf1 is offline Registered User

How about:

"Given the results of the recent study on freak waves (Freak waves in the linear regime: A microwave study, R. Hoehmann, U. Kuhl, H.-J. Stoeckmann, L. Kaplan, E. J. Heller, Sep 2009), have the race organizers modelled the probability of a significant number of freak waves being experienced by the fleet during the 2009 ARC? If not, why not?"

Or .. and someone actually asked me this before a transat ... where do you park/anchor at night? Are there marinas to go into?
    Last edited by npf1; 29-10-09 at 15:31.

npf1 is offline Registered User

What do we do if the skipper or a crew member turns out to be a nutter?

How do we choose which crew member to cook first if we run out of food. And are there any recipes available - ie Cock Au Vin ?

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

What make and model of yacht has the highest fatality record on the ARC?

halfway Guest

You did asked for scary questions:

1. What would happen if a rogue container ship tried to harvest the crews. Since positions are provided for them?
    2. With Coast Guard selling all personal details in a searchable format this year, who will be watching our homes while we are all away?
    3. If there was a ship in distress would we be obliged to change course to help? What happens if it was a deception to harvest boat crews?
    4. If we have a lightning strike and have no communications how can we make sure that no one tries to search for us. Or do we have to stay put and wait for rescue.
    5. What happens if we ALL get Amoebic Dysentery from the final parties!

Finally and most importantly:
    6. If UK goes bust, and the stock market collapses, while we are away, will you promise NOT to tell us.

(Dare I suggest GPS jamming/spoofing)

What do I get for the money?

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

After how many hours in the Liferaft is Cannabilism moraly acceptable?

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by halfway View Post
    You did asked for scary questions:

1. What would happen if a rogue container ship tried to harvest the crews. Since positions are provided for them?
    2. With Coast Guard selling all personal details in a searchable format this year, who will be watching our homes while we are all away?
    3. If there was a ship in distress would we be obliged to change course to help? What happens if it was a deception to harvest boat crews?
    4. If we have a lightning strike and have no communications how can we make sure that no one tries to search for us. Or do we have to stay put and wait for rescue.
    5. What happens if we ALL get Amoebic Dysentery from the final parties!

Finally and most importantly:
    6. If UK goes bust, and the stock market collapses, while we are away, will you promise NOT to tell us.

(Dare I suggest GPS jamming/spoofing)
    Halfway, you may not have posted very often, but you have certainly been reading lots of threads. Well done! Keep them coming.