Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    geoid96 is offline Registered User

Default OpenCPN

I haven't tried OpenCPN. However one of its biggest limitations seems to be the charts it supports. It's limited to CM93 vector and BSB raster. That is probably fine for North America with their freely available NOAA charts, but might be a bit limiting around the UK.

yoda is offline Registered User

Default Laptop and AIS

I have interfaced a NASA AIS engine to laptop with a position feed from a Garmin hand held GPS. Combined with 55s worth of Admiralty electronic charts you have a cheap and effective package. Power consumption with a laptop is always the downfall of the laptop.

Yoda

ColdFusion is offline Registered User

Geoid96, PM sent.

I've just ordered up Belfield Chart Plotter for a laptop and this was in a query I made to Keith Belfield:- 'We will post out today. You have no fears, our software is a comprehensive package. Charts include all the Admiralty charts for the UK and Ireland, all plotting, GPS and routing functions plus AIS (requires an AIS receiver on your boat)'

'

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Can it do tides? Can it overlay gribs?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Three points to consider:

Its a bit pointless having the AIS display down below on a laptop - difficult to monitor. You really need it up in the cockpit.

AIS uses virtually no power in addition to whats already used on the chartplotter. PC's swallow it - just don't know how you will keep powered. to have graphics and a PC running in parallel you will need to be motor sailing all the time.

Make sure your AIS receiver and display software can also show AIS enabled buoys - most of them don't at present.

Boz is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Can it do tides? Can it overlay gribs?
    No, but it shows tidal graphs and tidal diamond arrows. It's companion program, Tide Plotter, has it's on version of gribs ad allows tidal vectors to be automatically generated.

No interest to declare other than as a satisfied customer..

Regards
    Boz

Power for a laptop on a 50ft ex-mfv with a large dry wheelhouse isn't a problem. Package arrived and installed. Looks good value for 70. As for Boz, no interest to declare... we've used Tide Plotter for several years now. I like the fact that it uses scanned Admiralty charts which I know and love...

Default Chartplotters/AIS etc,

Quote Originally Posted by OffScotland View Post
    I've just ordered up Belfield Chart Plotter for a laptop and this was in a query I made to Keith Belfield:- 'We will post out today. You have no fears, our software is a comprehensive package. Charts include all the Admiralty charts for the UK and Ireland, all plotting, GPS and routing functions plus AIS (requires an AIS receiver on your boat)'

Hi. Forumites
    I have just looked up the Belfield Plotter and I am quietly impressed. I have been contemplating the Imray digi maps. However, for the price it appears to be what I am looking for.
    Has anyone else looked at it?
    It seems to be able to do a lot more than Imray or Admiralty.
    Any thoughts?
    Fair winds,
    Lancelot

'
    Fair winds,
    Lancelot