Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Moodyjim is offline Registered User

Default Holding tanks in Turkey

Anyone up to speed with what's happening? there have been a couple of places on Mednet MyCA where they are not only legislating for holding tanks for black water but for grey as well. I would imagine a rapid exodus of liveaboards from those areas.
    More fenders required

rivonia is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Moodyjim View Post
    Anyone up to speed with what's happening? there have been a couple of places on Mednet MyCA where they are not only legislating for holding tanks for black water but for grey as well. I would imagine a rapid exodus of liveaboards from those areas.
    Look under Med Log item by Charles Reed. This forum

Moodyjim is offline Registered User

Nope, the servers are too busy so can't.
    More fenders required

Quote Originally Posted by Moodyjim View Post
    Nope, the servers are too busy so can't.
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218249

Hope that helps

BobnLesley is offline Registered User

Default Turkish 'Blue Card' Regulations

I've put this on the 'Med Logs' Thread - I hadn't scrolled as far down as this one. We're currently based in Yacht Marine at Marmaris and the latest info I've gleaned is:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pshipley
    It would be a shame to ignore Turkey complete, remember this only applies in the Gocek Gulf.

No; I believe it's the whole of Mugla Province, which is from Bodrum all the way around to the Gulf of Fethiye/Gocek.

On a more positive note, it's my understasnding that whilst we might have to buy a 'Blue Card' during next season (about 30 - one off, not annually) the strict policing of these regulations is likely to take a while longer to be introduced. Two reasons for this: the Turkish Coastgaurd, who'll be policing it are not 'in the loop' as yet and secondly, with an estimated 8000+ applicable vessels in the region and only about twenty-odd pump out stations, given an average period of 3 days between pump-outs, each station would need to service 100+ vessels a day and that's impractical.

A final note, it is also my understanding that whilst grey water on 'small' vessels will need to be deposited in the black water tank, there is not a requirement for a seperate grey tank to be installed.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    I've put this on the 'Med Logs' Thread - I hadn't scrolled as far down as this one. We're currently based in Yacht Marine at Marmaris and the latest info I've gleaned is:

Quote:
    It would be a shame to ignore Turkey complete, remember this only applies in the Gocek Gulf.

No; I believe it's the whole of Mugla Province, which is from Bodrum all the way around to the Gulf of Fethiye/Gocek.

On a more positive note, it's my understasnding that whilst we might have to buy a 'Blue Card' during next season (about 30 - one off, not annually) the strict policing of these regulations is likely to take a while longer to be introduced. Two reasons for this: the Turkish Coastgaurd, who'll be policing it are not 'in the loop' as yet and secondly, with an estimated 8000+ applicable vessels in the region and only about twenty-odd pump out stations, given an average period of 3 days between pump-outs, each station would need to service 100+ vessels a day and that's impractical.

A final note, it is also my understanding that whilst grey water on 'small' vessels will need to be deposited in the black water tank, there is not a requirement for a seperate grey tank to be installed.
    How on earth can grey water be pumped into the black water tank and even if you had the facilities (space/piping/pump) to do it the holding tank would be full very very quickly indeed. So sorry but with all these reg's coming into force we shall avoid Turkey like the plague. However we shall keep watching to see.

Peter

vyv_cox is offline Registered User
    Location : North Wales, sailing either in the Aegean or Milford Haven

Logically, you need the same size grey tank as your fresh water tank. The grey water tank on my motorhome is about 1.5 times the water capacity. The new black water tank on my boat will be 47 litres. My water capacity is about 250 litres. It would be absolutely impossible for me to fit a grey water tank of this size.

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Quote:

Costs of pumping out will also have to be paid for, any idea how much? The queues would be intollerable even if they had many mor facilities, as there would be peak times for pump out - ie Morning.

So if you have to move every 3 days to a pump out station, what is to stop you going out to sea as we would do now, and dump a couple of miles out, or is that regulated now as well.

If it comes into real force, I would see keeping a boat there would be intolerable.

Question

TO BOB N LESLEY Where are you getting your info from as it would appear not to be factual at all. We all as live aboards/cruisers rely to some extent on web sites like this one for FACTUAL INPUT.

Peter

mikehibb is offline Registered User

Date of Decision Decision No.
    : 03.07.2009 : 178

First that I have heard of it too, our marina has a big notice printed out in the office regarding the Black water regs, but nothing about these Grey water regs.

Was in Turkey just three weeks ago sailing (Yalikavak, Bodrum Peninsula, Mugla) We were not informed about any new directives. As it was pay out time, marina fees, lift and launch, antifoul etc and I had my wallet out, I am sure that they would have asked for the extra 30 for the Blue card at the same time.

Not saying it is not true, just saying not been told about it, and the marrina office in the past appeard to be clued up.

Will have to wait and see.

Practically for most it will be a real problem, I have a way of working around it as I have two water tanks (2x150L), one up front and one right at the rear under the bed, could re-pipe the aft tank as the Grey water one if needs be, would need an extra pump for the galley sink though.

However do not intend to think any more about it until I hear that this directive is actualy in force.

After all plenty of water of all colours from villages and beach bars freely flowing into the oggin all around the coast, will these also have holding tanks and suction trucks pumping them out every day.

Will wait and see