Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    rivonia is offline Registered User

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Marsupial View Post
    Club Marina have told me today that grey water is not to be discharged into the sea and the real show stopper for me : automatic bilge pumps have to be removed.

It looks like Turkey is off the list of possible places to berth now.

Whats it like in Matla, Cypruss?
    Yeh what is it like in Cyprus cos thats where we are heading as well as Greek Islands.

Stuff Turkey

Peter

Default fined 7000 ytl

We are in Marmaris Turkey and have been fined 7000. ytl for discharging gray water(washing dishes) there is no difference between a 19 ton or 1000 ton ship for fines and no regulation issued with the transit log warning you. The fine for 18 ton 469. ytl. We have been sailing Turkey for while and this was the first we heard. We were also the only foreign flagged boat in the anchorage. Has any one else had this problem?

noonsite ..............

1bobt is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=sailaboutvic;2313576]We are in Marmaris Turkey and have been fined 7000. ytl for discharging gray water(washing dishes) there is no difference between a 19 ton or 1000 ton ship for fines and no regulation issued with the transit log warning you. The fine for 18 ton 469. ytl. We have been sailing Turkey for while and this was the first we heard. We were also the only foreign flagged boat in the anchorage. Has any one else had this problem?

noonsite ..............[/QUOTE

If this is true ,this is suicide for the Turkish marina and charter industry, it will be imposible to comply with the regs on a boat less than 45ft. I for one would never disconect the bilge pumps ,also one of my showers discharge into the bilge, then gets pumped away

It would meen me removing a large water tank to comply. And I need water more than I need Turkey. As I have said before plastic 45 gallon drums tied to the mast with the bilge pumps discharging into them is the only way.
    cheers bobt
    Last edited by 1bobt; 17-11-09 at 16:29.

jamesmar is online now Registered User

Default fine

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    We are in Marmaris Turkey and have been fined 7000. ytl for discharging gray water(washing dishes) there is no difference between a 19 ton or 1000 ton ship for fines and no regulation issued with the transit log warning you. The fine for 18 ton 469. ytl. We have been sailing Turkey for while and this was the first we heard. We were also the only foreign flagged boat in the anchorage. Has any one else had this problem?

noonsite ..............
    How about giving a bit more details about this fine. Where exactly were you in Marmaris?....when did this take place and how did the situation arise..ie was there a coastguard or other official there looking out for discharges 7K ytl sounds a lot of dosh,and it is nearly 3000.!!! who issued the fine and how was it collected?
    According to the information in this subject on the forum,the new regulations will not be in place till next spring,so how were you caught?

James, we live in Fethiye, they have been monitoring ANYTHING that comes out of boats for years and ANY official can and will enforce a fine. Went to the marina this afternoon and asked about the grey water issue, all they said was you must pump everything out in the marina, "NOTHING from the boat is allowed into the sea", we take it that means black grey pink or white it makes no difference. 500 yards to the west on the town quay they are refurbishing Gullets for next season, you name it is in the sea . . .

We have been there and done that when it comes to "this law is a silly and it will blow over" - in our experience it wont. It has taken 4 years to get the deeds situation reviewed and guess what, the old silly law that caused all the trouble did nt go away it was renamed and is only enforced when a property is sold, not boaty I know but its a view of how the Turkish system "works".

We had planned to sail our boat here next year so its nearer home but not now.
    Last edited by Marsupial; 17-11-09 at 19:30.

Default grey water

it ok to say it will blow over and it not in force , but it only take one guy to get out of bed the wrong way and some poor bugger will be fine.

found it on noonsite but it was dated 2005

1bobt is offline Registered User

it ok to say it will blow over and it not in force , but it only take one guy to get out of bed the wrong way and some poor bugger will be fine.

found it on noonsite but it was dated 2005

Are you saying this is 4-5 year old imformation. **** what we want is up to date info not history !!!

noonsite ..............
    OK ...I thought that this had happened to you personally,I did not suss the significance of the "noonsite"

I had a look through the noonsite pages and found this article. It had been posted on 21 November 2005. Almost exactly 4 years ago.

As there do not seem to have been a spate of similar reports since then,can we assume that it was a one off incident,?by the lack of detail,it is not at all clear what the circumstances were which caused the fine.
    Having said that,it is really up to the individual boat owner to adapt his boat systems as necessary in order to comply with any regs.The fact that gulets ,tripper boats etc dump their **** into the sea is neither here nor there,if the is a possibility of fining anyone,guess who will be first in line

Quote Originally Posted by 1bobt View Post
    Are you saying this is 4-5 year old imformation. **** what we want is up to date info not history !!!
    Beat me to it Bob

Squeaky is offline Registered User

Good morning:

We seem to be reaching the point in this post where the "wild and woolly" posts start arriving.

Reporting that automatic bilge pumps MUST be removed adds nothing to the discussion. There is no point in jumping on every unsubstaniated comment that someone might make at this point - I imagine that this is the type of comment that might well be advanced during a group discussion when speculating on how far this law could be pushed but that doesn't make it true or probable.

Nor is there any point if threatening to move your yacht/leave/or not visit Turkey unless this law is changed as that will do nothing to improve the situation. It might make the poster feel better but if you think about it what are you really accomplishing? Biting of your nose off to spite your face!!! Will the local economy really collapse if deprived of the few thousand euros you might spend annually. Of course, if one could organize the exodus of a few thousand it would be different.

The point behind the law is valid and where possible we should try to comply while trying to get the law written in such a way that this is possible.

Personally I hold out hope that this will be sorted out soon now that it has reached the attention of the authorities and marina managers. I remain convinced that this was all started by a few "zealots" in the Fethiye area when they discovered that a large houseboat (two levels) had been moored in a bay for a couple of years. I am sure that this discovery must have really got up their nose especially as it was owned by a wealthy person from Istanbul. Imagine their sense of triumph once they had forced it to move and I can see how easy it would be to decide to expand their area of interest to all of Mugla province. Of course, if they kept this within a limited circle they would not meet any resistance which might deprive them of their new found sense of power as no one can argue against motherhood or apple pie.

However this is now out in the public domain and resistance is being raised and I am optimistic that reason will prevail in the end.

As reported earlier this subject has moved to a much higher level with meetings arranged between various authorities and I will wait the outcome before jumping to conclusions.

Cheers

Squeaky

P.S - read about the seahorses to understand what motivates some people - http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219617
    Last edited by Squeaky; 18-11-09 at 07:31.