Default Tracing a yacht that has changed its name.

Does anyone know how to trace a yacht now that the Lloyd's Register no longer exists? I am interested in tracing a 40ft Buchanan wooden sloop that I used to sail, previously named Werewolf sail No. K1069 and originally named Simina in 1958 when she was built. I am guessing that her name has been changed again as there is another (modern) Werewolf now, that I have seen out racing recently.

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by fantasia7628 View Post
    Does anyone know how to trace a yacht now that the Lloyd's Register no longer exists? I am interested in tracing a 40ft Buchanan wooden sloop that I used to sail, previously named Werewolf sail No. K1069 and originally named Simina in 1958 when she was built. I am guessing that her name has been changed again as there is another (modern) Werewolf now, that I have seen out racing recently.
    Have you tried the Buchanan Owners' Association? http://www.buchananownersassociation.org/

Unless it is on the Part 1 register there is no formal way of tracing it. There is no requirement to record names anywhere and you can get several boats using the same name. The only restriction is that Part 1 registered boats have to have a unique name, but if an owner changes it then another can legitimately re-use the name.

As suggested the obvious starting point is the owners or class association or possibly the design office.

Posting a message on here might help!! You never know who might see the enquiry.
    All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.

One route on enquiry (but no use in this case) is the http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mars...earch.sh#start. Particulars usually include the name of the owner and the MMSI number. It does not have any registrations for "Werewolf", whereas there are 16 for "Freestyle". (That's an increase of a dozen or so in the last four years, depriving me of my last excuse not to rename my dream boat. )

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Ask the SSR administrators. I found they knew far more about my boat than the previous owner did. Even had the original owner's name and address, which enabled me to get VAT-paid information from him.

Thank you all for your informative replies. You have given lots to undertake further research. She was(is) a beautiful yacht and beautifully behaved and fast, particularly to windward. Memorable passages included a four day beat from Coruna to St P Port F4-8 and a fetch from Cherbourg to Chi Bar in 8.5 hours. I would love to see her or even sail on her again.

Try searching by sail number