Default Removing paint from fibreglass gelcoat

I want to strip off some dark blue paint from our cabin roof - painted with International Interlux Super Full Gloss Yacht Enamel (the old tin came in with the boat). Any ideas for a paint stripper that will remove it without damaging the gelcoat underneath?

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz is offline Registered User

Default Re: Removing paint from fibreglass gelcoat

G'day Michael,

Do you plan to re-paint this area, or are you hoping to restore the gelcoat?

Old Salt Oz.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Growing old is unavoidable. However, growing up is still optional.

Location : Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up from Blaenplwyf

International do a paint stripper safe on gelcoat but designed to lift antifoul, called Interstrip. It won't damage your gelcoat, but may not work on enamel.

I'm sure International themselves will have an answer.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>
    My ultimate dream - sailing a MacDuff26 at 16 knots

Evadne is offline Registered User

Having just used Interstrip on the antifouling, with the topsides painted with Toplac (Polyurethane enamel), getting the occasional stray daub, I'd say it doesn't work on enamel. Certainly no bubbling or softening occurred. I suspect the same goes for Dilunet, but visit a Chandlers and read a tin or visit the International Paints web site.
    Incidentally enamel seems to stick quite well to gelcoat, so if you're painting it again you "only" need sand it down.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    http://www.eoa.org.uk/

I'd far rather be happy than right.

aztec is offline Registered User

iv'e just stipped 5/6 coats of paint (dulux?) from a microplus, i used nitromors.

if left on too long it eats the gelcoat. but if you work it over smaller areas, and strip one coat at a time it works a treat.

i'm repainting with 2k paint so i'm not too concerned about the gelcoat... but then my boat ain't too posh [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

good luck. steve.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html</A>

LeonF is offline Registered User

I've heard that Isopon make a paint stripper safe for fibreglass available at motor factors but I don't know whether this is true or what it's called. Perhaps someone else can help?

<hr width=100% size=1>L.A.R.Ferguson

The paint is (messily) on an area that had stick-on plastic decals originally - we intend to replace the decals to make a much more attractive job of it - but only if we can strip the paint back to a nice smooth surface? Any more thoughts?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Leon is right. Isopon do do a stripper for GRP. Funnily enuff its called glass stripper. Bit misleading really as its strips paint and not the glass. I've used it on grp car bodies. The active ingreadients are different from nitromorse and the like. The smell is pretty pungent. Works well and if you go to the car factors its not that costly. TIP dont leave it on longer than half an hour, it goes rock hard after that and is a bugger to shift.

<hr width=100% size=1>

After wasting a big wad from my wallet on a load of usless stuff from the chandlers, I am happy to report that I have had a revelation with this job. A steam cleaner bought from Woolies in the sale with the wallpaper stripper attatchement, works an absolute treat, but a bit time consuming. I have done just the job you described.
    Cheers, good luck..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cheers guys - I'll follow up the leads.

<hr width=100% size=1>