Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Anti Social Behaviour

The time is 00:48, we are in East Cowes Marina on B3. Opposite us on A3 and A4 a pontoon party is in an "Ongoing" state. There is music loud enough that it is preventing sleep and is disturbing our night. Lots of braying laughter and generally loutish behaviour.

I am not complaining about people having fun or enjoying life, but it is now 01:01 on Sunday morning.

I have just returned from trying to reason with the "lead" boat. a large Ancona with around 20 people drinking and smoking on the pontoon and possibly 20 more in and around the cockpit of this and of the other boat "True Blue" moored next to her.

When I asked "where are you from"? the answer . . . "Wales!"

Next question "you are aware that the time is half past midnight?" the answer . . . . "So!"

I have always promoted sailing as a sport where you would meet a nicer type of person, clearly I need to revise my views.

It is just starting to rain so I guess that they will now go inside and we and other visitors to this nice marina can get some sleep.

Yours Simes

Babylon is offline Registered User

Default Ask the marina for a refund?

Really sorry your evening/night was upset by these hallabaloos.

There's probably very little more you can have done last night aside from having talked politely to them. But you can speak to the marina office this morning, and if there were any other people onboard their boats who were also disturbed then you might suggest they also complain. You could even ask for a partial refund from East Cowes Marina for the unreasonably disturbed night!

Another approach is to offer up a quiet prayer that the crew and guests of these two boats from hell are very very sick today.

It is worth noting that the vast majority of sailors are much more considerate.

Babs

Just a normal night here in wales. Be fair it was Saturday.
    If just a one off i think i would accept it.
    I actually would have joined them.
    Were they watching the rugby?
    Last edited by Csail; 08-11-09 at 07:58.

rivonia is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Csail View Post
    Just a normal night here in wales. Be fair it was Saturday.
    If just a one off i think i would accept it.
    I actually would have joined them.
    Were they watching the rugby?
    In my humble oppinion they were LOUTS. If you say that you would join them then it puts you in the same catagory.
    My heart goes out to the people simes. Just a thought is the marina manned 24 hrs? if so I would have VHF'd them and complained. It is just not on. Well done for keeping your head and being polite. Being ex military I sometimes respond in a different manner so they know where I am coming from.

Peter

Default Sea Louts

Hello Peter,

I agree with you they were louts, my Wife is of to the marina office this morning to enquire what could be done.
    I am also exmil' (RAF) and do on occasions have to keep my calm.

This seems to me to be happening more and more often, there is, it would seem, an element of "sod you Jack, I'm all right" creeping into the world of sailing.
    It used to be that this sort of behaviour was confined to Cowes week or the other celebratory occasions, now all you need is to be drunk with no consideration for others.

Does this sort of thing go on else where, how about in your home marina or harbour, or is it confined to the South coast of England?

Today will be better,

Simes

Default ???

In my humble oppinion they were LOUTS. If you say that you would join them then it puts you in the same catagory.
    So if you want to party after midnight you are a lout? Oh dear.

The OP's attitude seems to be that twenty or thirty people should stop doing what they want to do because it upsets him. A little more tolerance/flexibility on the OP's part might be in order.

I doubt if the marina will be very sympathetic. They make will make more money from the three party boats, who will remember what a good time they had there and will come back. OP should go anchor up a deserted creek somewhere if he wants peace.

- W

Attached picture was taken mid-week in Komiza, Vis Island, Croatia in August this year. The bay was full including this raft of more than 25 charter boats full of young Scandinavians - I guess at least 150 people - who started arriving in the late afternoon.

The partying started as soon as they arrived but stopped at about midnight when most of them went off to the town disco which was out of earshot. Unfortunately the party started again around 3am when they returned and continued until the sun came up around 6am when we finally got some sleep! I woke up around 9am as the heat built up - most of the rafted boats had slipped away by then!

Several times between 3am and 6am I heard requests for silence from, I assume, the charter skipper. The music and singing volume would go down for a few minutes before inevitably coming back up. Different boats were even playing different CDs at the same time!

I'm all for young people enjoying themselves and, although we have two children aboard, I had no issue with the partying till midnight.....but the session till 6am has surely got to count as a "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment" (UN Treaty on Torture)!

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    The OP's attitude seems to be that twenty or thirty people should stop doing what they want to do because it upsets him. A little more tolerance/flexibility on the OP's part might be in order.
    You appear to have hit the bottle early this morning WebCraft, that was closer in style to your 11pm prose.

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I'm all for young people enjoying themselves
    Nonsense. I was young once and I think that was quite enough.

VO5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    So if you want to party after midnight you are a lout? Oh dear.

I doubt if the marina will be very sympathetic. They make will make more money from the three party boats, who will remember what a good time they had there and will come back. OP should go anchor up a deserted creek somewhere if he wants peace.

- W
    No...that's not the way to go about it.

It would be far better to try to educate them a bit by playing them some classical music very loud.

I have some works in mind...the 1812 Overture, The Planets, Handel's Messiah, or even some Gilbert and Sullivan, The Mikado...or HMS Pinafore...could do the trick...or failing that some OPERA...