Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Re-galvanize anchor chain

My 60M of 8mm calibrated chain is now quite rusty after only 15years of regular use! anyone an idea where I can get this regalvanized either NW uk or Portsmouth area and what I should expect to pay for this. I understand that there are a number of different plating processes and that I need "Hot dip replating" - happy to be corrected if this is not the process needed for anchor chain and is there anything to be aware of when ordering this repair.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

I also have 50 m of slightly rusty chain. Maybe if there are more of us, we could club together and get a discount?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Default Lotsa galvanisers in the W Mids

but only a couple who have "shaker" plants.

You're 100m between you won't get anywhere near their minimum batch - most are looking for >50kg.

Try Joseph Ash www.josephash.co.uk/

a job lot is not a bad idea - when I made an all steel rudder about ten years ago it cost me about 40 to have it galvanized as there was a minimum charge. More recently a local workshop that did garden gates, railings etc said that the charge per kilo for galvanizing was very low and they could put my stuff in with their loads, but that contact has now retired from the business.

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

As we speak my 60 metres of 8 mm chain is being regalvanised at BE Wedge in Willenhall, West Midlands. They tell me they are the only company in UK with a continuous line for galvanising chain. At least two other companies I called referred me to them, so this is probably not an idle boast.

There is no minimum size/weight but you will have to wait a while (1 - 2 weeks) until they have sufficient to make it worthwhile putting the line together. It will cost you 1 per kilo or 1.5 per kilo if you have painted it.

See http://www.wedge-galv.co.uk/ Contact is Lee Dickens, Sales Manager. Very helpful and friendly chap.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    My 60M of 8mm calibrated chain is now quite rusty after only 15years of regular use! anyone an idea where I can get this regalvanized either NW uk or Portsmouth area and what I should expect to pay for this. I understand that there are a number of different plating processes and that I need "Hot dip replating" - happy to be corrected if this is not the process needed for anchor chain and is there anything to be aware of when ordering this repair.
    In my experience regalvansing old chain is often very disappointing and probably not economic when you consider that it has to be, removed, cleaned, boxed, transported to and fro and then remarked and replaced back on board. You will probably need some sort of lifting equipment to get it on and off the lorry. We also found that often the galvanising was not acceptable probably because the chain was salt contaminated and often had paint on it.

So unless the chain is really in good condition, under the rust my advice, for what it is worth, is to accept it will cost slightly more and buy new.

A final thought is that the last time we went through this exercise we found out that rather like fresh vegetables and their repackaging journey, the chain had been sent from the UK to Singapore and back for galvanising. Not at all eco friendly.
    - if you fancy a break ashore whilst cruising Spain check our web site

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    "Hot dip replating" - happy to be corrected if this is not the process needed for anchor chain and is there anything to be aware of when ordering this repair.
    Paid c50/60 last winter for 45m of 8mm - cleaned/replated and spun. Excellent job and well worth doing. Birmingham is the centre for this sort of thing, so should be handy for you to drop off and collect a couple of weeks later. I could give you the name of the place I used but I suspect they acted as agents and it may well have ended up at vyv-cox's place anyway.
    They cannot deal with chain that has been painted.

mustntgrumble is offline Registered User

Default regalvanising chain

Have it done properly or not at all. B E Wedge did my anchor chain 5 years ago, no rust to date, and yes I have used it. Good helpful service too

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

Thumbs up Amalgated chains to B E Wedge

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    I also have 50 m of slightly rusty chain. Maybe if there are more of us, we could club together and get a discount?
    Sounds like a good idea to group up several lots of chain and head North;
    We've got circa 30m of ex-rusty(given by a friend!),now shot blasted 10mm short link chain that i was down to galvanise or hammerite paint this winter.
    Twister, you're Chi/Solent based?
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Tidewaiter, yes.
    Next time, it'll all be different.