Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prop shield

Default prop shield

Does anyone have any recommendations for prop and P bracket antifoul?

I'm trying prop shield on my props for the 1st time - props had been sent away for repair - the one on the left has had the 2nd coat, the one on the right has had the 1st coat only.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...=DSCF0008a.jpg

bet I'm the only one in the harbour with pink props !!

will be interesting to see how long it lasts - boat goes back in on around the 28th Nov

rob
    RobMc
    Moray Cottages. Self catering in Speyside

Rob,

Is that what the product is called "Prop Shield"?

I guess if you need two coats it is a drying product?

Dave.

I think you will find its based on an old remedy of using Lanolin. You used to get a bar of lanolin, heat it up to melt it and then paint it on props and shaft. It only worked to a point but was cheap.

Prop shield is quite expensive and no one has given it a recommendation on this forum. I have not used it myself so have no experience. There is another product , again given on the forum where you etch prime and apply ( you would need to do a search).

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by tiler View Post
    Rob,

Is that what the product is called "Prop Shield"?

I guess if you need two coats it is a drying product?

Dave.
    Yes Prop Shield - like a wax

Quote Originally Posted by hbp47 View Post
    I think you will find its based on an old remedy of using Lanolin. You used to get a bar of lanolin, heat it up to melt it and then paint it on props and shaft. It only worked to a point but was cheap.

Prop shield is quite expensive and no one has given it a recommendation on this forum. I have not used it myself so have no experience. There is another product , again given on the forum where you etch prime and apply ( you would need to do a search).

Good luck and let us know how you get on
    It's not that cheap, but then it's not far off 1 spay etch prime and 2 coats of Prop-O-Drev which is what I had on before - that worked fairly well.

The 1st coat dried off quite well (you have to heat the metal - I bunged the props in the oven for about 3 mins just to get some warmth into the metal then used a hot air gun)

The 2nd coat is still very tacky after 3 days - have to say am not totally sure that it will last very well, but maybe it works at microscopic level..... I think I'm a natural optimist though!!
    Last edited by robmchugh; 14-11-09 at 14:57. Reason: spelling
    RobMc
    Moray Cottages. Self catering in Speyside

nonitoo is offline Registered User

I used propShield and found it very expensive for what it does.

Since then I buy simple lanolin, heat it and melt it, and paint my outdrive with it and it works. Lasts all season but the stuff on the props comes off quite quickly.

Try Baldwins on http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Miscellane...aneous-A-Z/423 for their lanolin (15.75 for 500ml) enough for one outdrive.

Tom

Been using prop shield for two years, works very well for us except when boat has to come out of the water for warranty work, & the twats jet wash it all off, so had it re-treated & relaunched only to find it had to come out again, & guess what!! Must have been the same twats LOL

I've used Propshield for two years and decided enough is enough, it kind of works but it does come off in places and if you touch the props like I did when I had fishing line wrapped around it this year - you end up with orange marks on your grp and none on the props - but does clean off okay.

In the first year it came off within months and thought I did something wrong, so gave it another ago this year and although it lasted much longer it is still no better than other antifoul.

The way you have applied it i.e. props removed - your gonna have fun refitting and as you do it starts to come off and gets everywhere (use the latex gloves it helps a lot), it never dries hard until in the water - that was my experience. The second time I applied with the props remaining on the stern drive, I used a heat gun (very carefully) and got a good coverage and a smooth finish.

Next year I will go back to normal antifouling as I find it too much hassle for very little gain.

Lastly you feel kind of weird having orange props when on the hard, you can see people looking and wondering.

So all in all expensive and not much better than normal anti-foul.

carlton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nonitoo View Post
    I used propShield and found it very expensive for what it does.

Since then I buy simple lanolin, heat it and melt it, and paint my outdrive with it and it works. Lasts all season but the stuff on the props comes off quite quickly.

Try Baldwins on http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Miscellane...aneous-A-Z/423 for their lanolin (15.75 for 500ml) enough for one outdrive.

Tom
    As above, but you can get 600ml. from the bosun's locker for 9 - delivered.

http://www.bosunslockerchandlery.co....LANOGUARD.html

Default slower props

I'm wondering, whether this stuff will work better on my slow moving (max 500rpm) props, I always seem to have fouling on my props and stern gear no matter what I use.