Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Seakindly is offline Registered User

Smile ASUS ee pc long term findings anybody?

I see a new solid state Asus eepc can be picked up for around 100 and add-on CD (25) or DVD drives and so on means a usable linux package can be well short of 200. Looking at past threads, I'd be interested to hear how people have got on with these little netbooks over the last season or two. Assuming one has a 'proper' plotter for real-time, bad weather navigation, I can still see this as a candidate for planning cruise options in a marina or checking stuff in harbourside pub, or indeed checking net as to which harbour-side pub, weather, parts suppliers, even asking for help on this forum. But how do they stand up to life on board? Are they just toys or have they proved to be useful? (And please, please don't suggest Iphone variants - I will lose, drop, and cannot read the things).

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Seakindly View Post
    I see a new solid state Asus eepc can be picked up for around 100 and add-on CD (25) or DVD drives and so on means a usable linux package can be well short of 200. Looking at past threads, I'd be interested to hear how people have got on with these little netbooks over the last season or two.
    I haven't used mine on the boat, but I have used it a lot since I got it. It's an original 701 (early adopter, me) on which I have run variously Eeexubuntu, EasyPeasy and currently Ubuntu 9.10 NBR.

I've been very pleased with it. It's extremely solidly made. If I was buying one now I'd probably go for the later 8" version, which is basically the same size as the original but with the screen filling the lid. I can't see the point of the 10" ones - they cost more than a standard laptop from Dell or other manufacturers, they're almost as big and they're substantially slower.

Power consumption is quite high. Mine has the standard 12V 2.5A mains adaptor and charges v-e-r-y slowly when in use. With my Huawei USB dongle on the go it barely charges at all.

Default Asus

I have the 901. Had it for about 9-10 months. No problems. In fact, it's stood up to life on board, and elsewhere, very well. I use it for internet and occasional work, altho' I keep a larger laptop on board for any serious word processing. The great thing about the Asus is that it's light and unobtrusive, so I can take it anywhere to get wifi when we are in port; it's rugged - no hard disc to go wrong, so I just sling it in a kit bag; and the battery life is very good - I get around 6 hours on a charge, and then recharge from the 12 volt source on board. It charges quite quickly, so I don't have the problems of the previous poster.

Mine came with Linux, but I got fed up with this and loaded Windows. I had to buy an SSD card to increase the storage. Windows runs from the inbuilt storage and everything else, including MS Office, from the removeable SSD card. It's a little slow, but no real problem. Don't expect to watch fims on it tho' - I tried & it can't really cope. However, that's not what I bought it for. Overall then, I'd recommend it for boat use.

BlueChip is online now Registered User

I've had a Eee PC1000h for a year or so.
    I've also got a couple of other notebooks that I've bought in the past few years including a 17" HP model.
    I put XP Pro and MS Office on the Eee so I can connect to my office domain using Outlook under 3G or wifi and its performed faultlessly, in fact I use it almost exclusively when I travel I keep it with me either in the car or boat and as its so light and the battery lasts for ages I often dont usually even carry the charger.
    Downside is that the screen resolution is not that high so if you are looking at word docs or spreadsheets you cannot see the whole picture, I'm used to a 22" wide screen monitor at work so maybe I'm spoilt.
    Its perfect for email and web browsing.
    It's been dropped bashed around and generally mistreated and hasnt complained, its not the fastest machine in the world but its better than I expected.
    I wouldnt consider it for navigation as I dont think the screen and resolution are large enough.
    If I was buying a new sub notebook today I would look for one with a built in 3G SIM card holder, so as to not need a USB dongle.

Slightly off the original....

Yesterday, I took delivery of a Samsung N140 Netbook, with 2Gb RAM, 250Gb hard drive and 10.2" Screen running 1024x600 Graphics. XP setup. Battery life is promised to be good, apparently. 300 quid delivered.
    I have ordered(through my errant child)
    DVD_RW external drive
    21DbA gain Wifi booster
    Laser mini mouse 2 4Gb memory sticks.
    4 port Hub
    RS232 Serial to USB cable
    70 quid all in.

Actisense NMEA Multiplexer around about 100 quid.

I fully intend to use mine as my boat nerve centre, running Software on Board by Digiboat, using C-Map NT+ and C-Max charts through the USB reader.
    Will have Navtex engine and AIS to PC, and will take DSC inputs from VHF.
    Displays all NMEA data, and normal Depth,Log,Wind info. It will output to Autopilot.

I am retaining the Chartplotter Radar up at the helm.

I havent done this before as the laptop I had used over 4 amps, which was unsustainable.

So, we shall see........should be interesting 2010.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

I've had a 4GB 701 since they first came out, running the standard Xandros in 'enhanced' mode. I've installed Seaclear (running under Wine), JTides and zyGrib. I have a Bluetooth adapter talking to a NavMan B10 GPS, and also a USB to serial cable to connect to my Garmin GPS72. I have a Vodafone K3565 3G adapter. I have an 8GB SD card semi-permanently installed for extra storage. And I have a TrueCrypt encrypted 250GB external drive. It powers from a cigar lighter socket on the boat, and since the native power requirement is only 9.5V, it uses considerably less power than my previous Toshiba lappy.

All things considered, I'd say it's the most useful and convenient laptop I've ever owned.

catmandoo is offline Registered User
    Location : The Earth but normally in the place of the high stream some where in Perthshire

Elton , how do you get it to work zygrib . I have down loaded the programme and followed previous on line instructions but no success . Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by catmandoo View Post
    Elton , how do you get it to work zygrib . I have down loaded the programme and followed previous on line instructions but no success . Any tips?
    I had to scratch my head for while there, it's so long ago. I followed http://cy-thompson.co.uk/lifetype/in...Id=79&blogId=1. It looks a bit daunting, but if you follow the instructions exactly it'll work. Cy is a member of these forums, but I can't remember his login name.

Ubergeekian is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbright, Loch Ken, Port Bannatyne

Quote Originally Posted by Cspirit View Post
    Don't expect to watch fims on it tho' - I tried & it can't really cope. However, that's not what I bought it for.
    I rip films to MP4s on the desktop machine: the Eee then plays them happily from a memory stick.

Quote Originally Posted by orbister View Post
    I rip films to MP4s on the desktop machine: the Eee then plays them happily from a memory stick.
    I've never had any problems playing DivX movies on my 701.