Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: VERL 27

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Here or there
    Posts
    76,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonF View Post
    I have always considered it to be a Verl 27. I will check and post again.
    they are totally different
    27 a early 70s cruiser by Robert Tucker

    http://www.boatshed.com/verl_27-boat-74500.html

    790 a late 70s cruiser / Racer Ed Dubois

    http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...0/verl-790.htm
    Last edited by sailorman; 09-12-09 at 14:16.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Mallorca
    Posts
    169

    Default Verl 27

    I have a Verl 27. My Father had owned it before...so we´ve had it 35 years now. She´s actually designed by Robert Clarke in 1973, before this they were known as the Philipa 27, only difference being he modified the bow slightly. My Verl 27 is in the Med now having sailed her down from Scotland in 2001. She´ll be going to the Canaries next summer having been completely re-fitted, and totally re-finished (hull and deck) in Awlgrip. Fast, seaworthy and solid boats.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Here or there
    Posts
    76,943

    Default So Ole Sm woz right then

    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Mallorca
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    ...almost right. Robert Clarke and Robert Tucker are not exactly the same person ? Robert Tucker I think you´ll agree was the typical DIY designer e.g Shane Actons "Shrimpy", whereas Robert Clarke on the other hand was designing mainly larger yachts eg British Steel sailed by Chay Blythe.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Here or there
    Posts
    76,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by narcer View Post
    ...almost right. Robert Clarke and Robert Tucker are not exactly the same person ? Robert Tucker I think you´ll agree was the typical DIY designer e.g Shane Actons "Shrimpy", whereas Robert Clarke on the other hand was designing mainly larger yachts eg British Steel sailed by Chay Blythe.
    50% right then
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    north london
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Dear Nacer
    Can you give me some more information about verl 27please .I have one for 12 mounths now i i think it`s good boat,but i`ve been told that he`s got bad reputation when sailing i`m wondering if is any think what i have to be worry about under the sail or it was just ...
    May you now why is not many around,(i could`t find any information on web sites or magazines)and most important question do you now where keel bolts are?
    Regards
    Adam

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Mallorca
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alapicz View Post
    Dear Nacer
    Can you give me some more information about verl 27please .I have one for 12 mounths now i i think it`s good boat,but i`ve been told that he`s got bad reputation when sailing i`m wondering if is any think what i have to be worry about under the sail or it was just ...
    May you now why is not many around,(i could`t find any information on web sites or magazines)and most important question do you now where keel bolts are?
    Regards
    Adam
    Sorry but you´ll have to be more specific when you talk about sailing qualities. I can´t complain about mine. Sails very well in all conditions for a 8m sail boat. I´ve delivered many different boats professionally around the Med, UK etc incl Swan 36, HR 38 Amel Super Maramu...but the little Verl never dissapoints. She´s fast and seaworth.

    Also the 27 does not have keel bolts, the keel is encapsulated lead ballast sealed in fibreglass and resin. Bascially Nick Hatteridge at VerlVale did a good job. He actually used the workforce from the Halcyon 27 having took over the workshop there when he started off, so they were an experienced team.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!
    Posts
    5,440

    Default

    Used to have a Phillipa 27 which I loved dearly. Sailed well, very forgiving. Unfortunately mine was a home build and had been done badly so after 6 seasons with me (built 1972) she became an early example of an uncontrolled canting keel!

    Her new owner has repaired her and she is back in the water - his tentative plans are to sail to the Canaries and (eventually) on to Australia.
    Peter. Formerly known as Alchemist V274.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Here or there
    Posts
    76,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by narcer View Post
    Sorry but you´ll have to be more specific when you talk about sailing qualities. I can´t complain about mine. Sails very well in all conditions for a 8m sail boat. I´ve delivered many different boats professionally around the Med, UK etc incl Swan 36, HR 38 Amel Super Maramu...but the little Verl never dissapoints. She´s fast and seaworth.

    Also the 27 does not have keel bolts, the keel is encapsulated lead ballast sealed in fibreglass and resin. Bascially Nick Hatteridge at VerlVale did a good job. He actually used the workforce from the Halcyon 27 having took over the workshop there when he started off, so they were an experienced team.
    VerVale started in their own workshops in Melbourn & employed a lot of former employees from Offshore Yachts,who were Royston Based 4 mls away.the 27 was their first boat. then the 900, 790, Hustler 32,36. they then went the way of Offshore Yachts - Bust
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Mallorca
    Posts
    169

    Smile Verlvale

    That´s right SM...Offshore yachts were moulding the Halcyon 27 among others, and Nick Hatteridge used most of their workers when Offshore went bust. He was producing good solid boats when he first started, later on I have no idea.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to