Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Name for this ship!

I took this while in Aden about 1962,not being a big ship man I can only say its a general cargo?Any old salts out there who knows!
    Attached Images Attached Images

timtap is offline Registered User

Union-Castle Line Ship or Clan Line ship re-painted after the merger with Union Castle line ?
    Last edited by timtap; 08-12-09 at 14:12.
    In a recent survey it was discovered that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population

highandry Guest

I don't know if your photo colours are faded a bit, but when I was in tramps in the 1960's and 70's there was a company called Bibby line whose ships had black hulls and a fairly distinct pinkish colour funnel with a black top. I can't remember if they had that white line just below the bulwarks though. They used to trade to the far East via Suez and would have stopped as we did at Aden for bunkers. They were named after English counties I seem to remember, and names ended in 'shire.'
    If the photo colours are faded and that funnel is red, she could have been a Glen Line vessel, all Glen..something. They were black hulls too, can't remember if they had a white band either. But looking at the shape of her house flag on her main mast I'm not sure because Glen line (I think..getting old..) had a sort of double house flag. A flag with a little pennant immediately above it which was quite easy to see. Glen Line also traded to the far East, I saw a couple in the Hoogli River as well, I seem to remember.
    Just as a matter of interest Clan Line had red funnels with a couple of thin black bands round and a black top. They nearly all had big heavy lift jumbo derricks too, abaft the foremast.

Default Mystery shop

For christ sake guys it is a Slow Starvation & Agony ship! Buff funnel black top with white line at sheer strake, Shaw Saville & Albion.

Likely Wiawera, although she seems to have a jumbo derrick which suggests she is a post war sister or had been modified. During Korean war government gave grant if ship had hold of dimensions to carry Centurion tank and jumbo of sufficient capacity. Typical H & W motor ship, with two of those B&W double acting mechanical nightmares.

Wiawera had reputation as a real party ship on NZ coast, bloody boring Bibby line what an insult!

highandry Guest

Talking

Told you me eyes are going, I can't even see a jumbo..and her funnel looked pink

I was in the Athenic Shaw Swivel..

http://www.photoship.co.uk/

have a look on here for old ships mind you you will have to spend a liftime looking !

Default Shaw Saville ship

My point was bady put.

Ceratinly a SS&A 'W' boat some had jumbos some did not, this one does not. Same applied to telescopic top topmasts. Go search for another W boat picture say Waigrangi or Waimarama.

High and Dry if you served as an officer with SS&A and did not recognise the outline of another company vessel you would have not been awful popular with the old man...

highandry Guest

Talking

In the "Athenic" about 1964, young AB, one trip to Kiwi..then Port Line, Blue Star, Royal Mail, Haines, Union Castle etc:...forgotten most of them. One trip-one ship, never a company man..
    Was on KGV pool.

Default Name That Ship

Highandry,

So let me guess you did your lifeboat ticket in the little shed with the davits outside in St Katherines Dock surrounded by all those rusty cranes and derilict warehouses.

People were talking rubbish about the area being redeveloped with pubs and shops, would never happen!