Default Raymarine VHF 218 mmsi reset

Due to a number of factors involving the FCC, BoatUS and me. I have the incorrect MMSI number programmed in my Raymarine VHF 218. I have finally straightened out the mess and have the correct MMSI number in hand.

I dug out the manual to get the instructions to reprogram the radio and to my amazement the manuals states that you only get one shot at installing the number and I have used mine up. The only fix would be to return the radio to Raymarine and they would clear the old number. Finding this hard to believe, I contacted Raymarine, explained my problem and asked if I could reset the unit while it is still in the boat. Their response, "Nope, send it back to us and we will reset it."

I just can not see the factory reprogramming an EPROM for every radio that needs to reset the MMSI number. I would think that there is some magic key sequence, as on other Raymarine radios, to reset the unit.

So, finally my question; does anyone know how to reset the MMSI number in the Raymarine VHF 218 radio without removing it from the boat?

Similarly, I asked our local dealer how to activate the ATIS function on the 218E and enter the ATIS number. He said his man could do it in the boat (for a price) rather than return the set to the factory which implies its a key coded function. However, no one I know knows how to do it. Perhaps someone out there does?

It isn't a key coded function. The radio needs to be connected to a pc/laptop with the correct software to be programmed. Raymarine themselves or some dealers can do it.

Default Same here

My Standard Horizon is the same, although Seamark Nunn of Suffolk will wipe the old MMSI for 25 while you wait. Dont know about other makes though. Could be worth asking around local chanders that sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbox View Post
    Due to a number of factors involving the FCC, BoatUS and me. I have the incorrect MMSI number programmed in my Raymarine VHF 218. I have finally straightened out the mess and have the correct MMSI number in hand.

I dug out the manual to get the instructions to reprogram the radio and to my amazement the manuals states that you only get one shot at installing the number and I have used mine up. The only fix would be to return the radio to Raymarine and they would clear the old number. Finding this hard to believe, I contacted Raymarine, explained my problem and asked if I could reset the unit while it is still in the boat. Their response, "Nope, send it back to us and we will reset it."

I just can not see the factory reprogramming an EPROM for every radio that needs to reset the MMSI number. I would think that there is some magic key sequence, as on other Raymarine radios, to reset the unit.

So, finally my question; does anyone know how to reset the MMSI number in the Raymarine VHF 218 radio without removing it from the boat?

Will BoatUS not help????? They may have access to software.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

I am looking to do the same as I bought a boat with a Ray240e VHF which is programmed with the previous owner's MMSI

I did stumble across this , which may work and I will be trying on the Ray240e as well

"Here is the secret code to erase the MMSI # in your Raymarine VHF radio. It was sent to me when I sold my old boat with a Ray230 in it and even though it was originally for a Ray220, it worked to erase mine. It may work on your Ray215 also. OOPS!, guess it's not so secret anymore.
    This secret code is for the Raytheon / Raymarine RAY 220 VHF. It may work on other Raytheon/Raymarine radios also.

Here you go:

With the Power OFF, Press and HOLD the FUNC, 16/9 and DSC keys while you power ON. Do not release the keys until you hear the audio BEEP which means your done. Then reprogam your NMSI number as per the manual. "

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59294

and this is what I found on the software and NMEA commands

http://www.raymarine.com/submittedfi...8%20ais500.pdf

see page 3 , may work on the VHF as well as on the AIS ?