Thread: Kalamata Marina

steveallan is offline Registered User

Default Kalamata Marina

Anyone have any information for this marina. Looks good on their web site.

Thanks
    Steve

1bobt is offline Registered User

Hi
    I have stayed there only in the summer months We had a southerly gale and it blew right in with a big surge would not want to be there in winter .Built by Kirriculis ? so same price as the other marinas
    If you are leaving Messolonghi i would call into Pylos (Ormos Navarinou)as i think this could be an excellent place to winter
    When we were here the port Captain was a very small man with a heart of gold ,used to bring fresh flowers to our boat every morning. WONDERFUL place to stay. Jim Baer? will come along and give you better advise

cheers bobt
    Last edited by 1bobt; 14-12-09 at 15:57.

highandry Guest

I have Steve, but it's from 2004 so a few whiskers on it perhaps..
    Facilities ie: showers etc: were clean and well maintained, office staff excellent. The owner at least I believe he was, had been a merchant ship Master and had a better grip on what sailors appreciated than perhaps a pure business bod may have had. A few live-a-boards who seemed happy enough. A Coastguard sub-office actually in the marina and a main Coastguard Base in the town (5 minute walk) I got my cruising permit there.

Usual bars and restaurants ashore, some right on the quayside, I hope you like music at 0400 hrs... Shops for most things in town, which incidentally I think has seen better days, the commercial part of the harbour was starting to get a derelict look about it.

I recall it was not the easiest marina to get to for those people "Who keep a boat in Greece" and the berthing charges were cheaper than other marinas with an aeroplane runway at the end of the pontoon.

Sea entry was easy, fuel berth immediately to starboard just inside.
    And finally...my lasting memory..I had a rigid dinghy at the time which was getting to be a pain launching and recovering at every anchorage. I decided to buy an inflatable and asked the marina manager if I could stow my dinghy at the marina while I went off for a 3 month wander round the Cyclades. No problem..locked it in a garage for me.
    On my return.."How much do I owe you for keeping my dinghy?"
    " Why nothing, it was our pleasure to look after it, we hope to see you again"

Make of that what you will. I'm bound that way in the summer, might see you about.
    Cheers Highandry

1bobt is offline Registered User

I also remember going into the harbor a mile east of the marina , Filled up with water about 250 lt "The self taught vilage idiot" who helped fill us up presented us with a bill for 350euro .It seemed that there was only one price to fill up Super tanker 350 euro small yacht 350euro

The staff in the office could see the problem , however the idiot, was the manager brother and he wanted the money ,this was at the time of the Photograph`s of 50 year old british planes, that got people in jail.

we got away with it somehow, cannot remember the exact amount we paid i think 30 euro but never again

cheers bobt
    Last edited by 1bobt; 14-12-09 at 12:28.

Default Kalamata marina

Friendly town, marina pretty well-equipped and reasonable services. Prices lower than any other Greek marina.

Storm surge is the problem, pontoons E-G are really not safe for winter mooring and the rest are fairly bouncy - when there's a lot of rain the marina has a lot of rubbish in it from the river next door.

The boat in there on A19, at present, with the Deutsch liveaboards keeping watch over her.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Default Kalamata, Pylos

Kalamata, for live aboard wintering, is good value compared to other marinas managed by the same company. The marina is surrounded by the 'classy' restaurant centre for the town, and at weekends becomes quite lively. The town is not a tourist centre, so English is not widely spoken. Every sort of engineering can be arranged, and there's an excellent market area in the town centre, some 2km inland.

Surge. Do not use any pontoons (except the end one) east of the entrance. Your warps and fendering must be set to handle about two metres fore and aft surge if you are on the easternmost pontoon; a bit less in the more sheltered western half of the marina. This surge will occur two or three times in the winter. Last winter saw very strong southerlies for a couple of days (over 40kts, seas up to 5m) but no serious damage occurred.

Winter travel to Athens airport is quicker and more frequent than from Preveza/Levkas.

Pylos is a 'free of charge' marina framework, beautifuly sheltered, but with no infrastructure and no power. Two or three liveaboards are there at the moment. Delightful small town, a little English spoken, good value shops for food. A place to 'go native'.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

This is our 3rd winter in Kalamata. First winter was fine. No problems. Last winter in Febuary in a Southerly storm it was bad. Catamaran on "A" pontoon broke its mooring and suffered a bit of damage, and boat next us on D pontoon broke his chain also. He was bouncing his stern off the quay while we were taking all the weight. (He was 50 ft ferro no one on board) All his fenders burst. It was 2 am and although the marineros were out, they did or couldnt do much. We held him on springs but I can honestly say the surge was dangerous. We were lucky and had superficial damage.
    However, I will state that the marina ground tackle is not being maintained. Several other boats have broken adrift in lesser conditions.
    This winter we are on the hard. I doubt whether I would winter afloat in Kalamata again.
    It is a fine place to visit however and being off the beaten track has virtually no foreign visitors. People from Athens come down in the summer. We were contemplating Messelonghi next year. Apart from the building site atmosphere as per other posts does anyone know if it has good shelter as this is my first concern. We can always shower on board !!!!

We are on our 3rd winter in Kalamata. Really like the town and being off the beaten track there are very few foreign tourists. However, last winter was bad. We had a couple of storms with massive surge. Boat next to us broke his mooring and bashed off the quay. We took springs (and the weight) but it was actually dangerous. (ON D dock) Cat on A also broke free and suffered damage. Several other boats have broken free in lesser conditions as the maintenace on ground tackle is suspect to say the least. I would hesitate to winter afloat here again and we are actually on the hard at the moment fitting a new engine.
    Thinking about messelonghi next year but watching the other posts with interest. Apart from the building site ambience, is the shelter OK ?

Sybaris is offline Registered User

Rigman,
    Yes, I can confirm that Messolonghi is very well sheltered and placed in a beautiful water reserve. No swell and seemingly (my own observation only) less wind than the islands outside.
    Cheers,
    Per

Messolonghi is very safe, no problems here wherever the wind is coming from.
    Drinking rum and playing music with my friends.