Thread: Greek Taxes 2

grumpygit is offline Registered User

Default Greek Taxes 2

Well, the tax rises have started, 20% on alcohol and 12.5% on tobacco.

I suppose we'll all have to sit back and wait to see what's next and how it is going to efffect the rest of us........

__________________________________________________ _______________________

So how much is a beer, wine and a pkt of tobacco?

cheers
    Roy

grumpygit is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prescott56 View Post
    So how much is a beer, wine and a pkt of tobacco?

cheers
    Roy
    The duty increases have only just published so there's not been time for it to take effect yet.

At the taverna's a 500cl of lager varies from 2.5 to 3.5, 500cl of house red or half kilo as it's measured is circa 5 and a pack of 20 is circa 3.30. I'll leave you to do the sums but I believe the drink duty increase relates to the alcohol content therefore having a greater effect on spirits.

None of the rises on the above items are unexpected but the certainty of taxes rising / being levied on boats and fuel etc increases. If VAT/IVA is also raised it will be added across the board of course.....

1bobt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    The duty increases have only just published so there's not been time for it to take effect yet.

At the taverna's a 500cl of lager varies from 2.5 to 3.5, 500cl of house red or half kilo as it's measured is circa 5 and a pack of 20 is circa 3.30. I'll leave you to do the sums but I believe the drink duty increase relates to the alcohol content therefore having a greater effect on spirits.

None of the rises on the above items are unexpected but the certainty of taxes rising / being levied on boats and fuel etc increases. If VAT/IVA is also raised it will be added across the board of course.....

and the rest of europe as well

cheers bobt

Davy_S is online now Registered User

On Kefalonia, my local watering hole a bottle of Amstel, Mythos is 2 euros, a packet of cigs Assos similar to embassy is 2.20 euros a pack.
    Just come back from the bar, we have had powercuts today, the Greeks are up in arms about tax increases, tommorrow is a national strike everything is shut down.
    A major problem is due to the need to collect taxes all retail outlets have to use a electronic till from now on. This means a receipt has to be given from garages, periptero(kiosk) tradesmen everyone! This does not go down well to say the least. We are local so when we go to a Taverna for a meal we are never given a bill, matters not to us, the only time you get a bill receipt is when the taxman is in town. You have a serious tax evasion problem in Greece, the big bar owners drive a BMW or huge 4 track yet only claim to earn 6000 euros a year, of course this does not add up to the tax man
    The problem does not just apply to Greece, Europe is in financial do do, as the song goes--there may be trouble ahead-- I think we can all expect to have to dig a little deeper until things get sorted out.