Default Narrowing down - I think

Hi new boy back again relying on your advice..

Well the boat show was inlighting

I did like the Crownline and the Searay - So now back at home with the task to see the price and look for an older model in my price range....

i've Seen a Crownline 250CR (2004) and Sea ray 270 Sundancer (1999), is there any common issues with either of these two? and does anybody know the water line to screen height of the Sea ray? as mentioned before i would like to venture on the non tidel (Medway) and with some adivse from fred and the EA navigation bridge profiles East Farleigh is defo the first problem!!

sorry for the dim questions!

My first thought on reading that is its quite a big difference in ages of the two boats you are looking at, one being 6 years old and the other 11. I would have hoped the 2004 boat would have mechanicals looking almost like new, whilst the 1999 boat will have quite a bit of corrosion in places you really don't want it. Make sure you have a really good look around the engine bay with a torch to see what potential problems there are, as its a real sod changing things like starter motors.

On the question of Searay vs Crownline, they are both nice boats, but others on here will have direct experience. What kind of price difference are you talking about between the two boats?

Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kelby View Post
    Hi new boy back again relying on your advice..

Well the boat show was inlighting

I did like the Crownline and the Searay - So now back at home with the task to see the price and look for an older model in my price range....

i've Seen a Crownline 250CR (2004) and Sea ray 270 Sundancer (1999), is there any common issues with either of these two? and does anybody know the water line to screen height of the Sea ray? as mentioned before i would like to venture on the non tidel (Medway) and with some adivse from fred and the EA navigation bridge profiles East Farleigh is defo the first problem!!

sorry for the dim questions!
    Height dimensions are:
    Waterline to top of screen 2.08 meters (6ft 10inch in old money!)
    I'd be interested to know what % price difference there is between the two boats.
    As someone else has already mentioned - there is a reasonable age difference between the two boats and because of this, the price and condition will play the biggest part in which you decide to go for, or it would if it were me chosing.

Wink

Hi Kelby,
    Crownline 250cr, I know of one for sale in very good order, never been slept on, still has the cusions wraped from new!
    You can view it here:

http://www.birchellmarine.co.uk/show...crownline250cr

Nice boat and looked after no expense spared.

Hi Thanks again for the info on the height

The Crownline was 39k but will take 36ish - still think this is high as essexB/Y has an 05 under off and asking price was 35ish and nodoubt the sale price was lower..

The sea ray 270 is 29,995... (dont know how much lower they will go)

Thanks enterprise - yes agree lovely - but and a big BUT.. Her indoors was ok when i said i'm going to get a boat - How Much?? - Oh 15k to 20K - Response - what!! (but reasonable placid) - a trip to the boat show helped so think i can get away with 30k sssssh =- She dont know yet!!

Smile

Hi Kelby,
    Know the feeling well, start out with 15k and end up looking at 30k, only advice would be to buy something that is slightly older, perhaps 2002 +, however you need to get your partner onboard (no pun intended), paint a picture of comfort and style that only the newer boat can provide, endless weekends away, long hot summers, you get the idea.
    Then let your partner pick the interior spec, they feel more at home with soft furnishings while you can consentrate on the boat details.

Buy as new as you can without breaking the budget, remember you will need to budget for berthing (upfront) and insurance, plus all the new clothing and kit etc.
    Not forgeting the added expense of traveling away each weekend, which can soon eat into the money leftover from all the bills.

If 30K is tops I would think looking at boats of 30k with a veiw of spending is close to 25k as you can, leaving you 5k for your first season, this would help towards berthing, fuel, servicing, antifouling, insurance, training and small items of safety kit (life jackets etc).

Do you want watersports or cruising capability (accomodation) ?, this will give us some idea of which boats to recomend within your budget.

Something like this could be good if you have a car large enough, I know it's not at reserve but it might be worth considering as compared to others it seems quite a low start,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cranchi-CSL-28...item35a658b492
    Last edited by enterprise; 15-01-10 at 17:17. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by enterprise View Post

Something like this could be good if you have a car large enough, I know it's not at reserve but it might be worth considering as compared to others it seems quite a low start,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cranchi-CSL-28...item35a658b492
    I think you mean "credit card large enough". Its got twin petrol V6s and practically half the boat is taken up with the sunpad. Might be ok for round here, but in the UK I just can't see the point.