Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default UK MMSI Number application

Hi, does anyone out there have a link to the Ofcom website where I can download a form or apply online for an MMSI Number. I've been on the site for hours and still can't fathom it out. One of the worst websites I've been on for being user friendly!

Thanks, Aircooledadams.

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

register your radio equipment against your ssr or part 1 vessel registration. It automatically issues you an MMSI number. You don't actually apply for the MMSI number itself. Yes you are right, they dont make that clear on the site at all.
    Last edited by nimbusgb; 13-01-10 at 19:59.

Martin_J is online now Registered User

Hi

I believe that firstly you register on the site. They then email your login details and you can then use this login to apply for a license and if you tick DSC radio on the form they will allocate the MMSI number with the license. (This assumes you are applying for a new license for the first time for the boat and radio).

If you already have a radio on board from a previous owner and it is pre-programmed with a previous MMSI and if you have a paper license that has expired then it is a different story.

Basic FAQs are at...
    https://services.ofcom.org.uk/help

and the online licensing tools appear to be at..
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing/applications08/elt/

Follow the 'Amateur and Ships' link.

Martin_J is online now Registered User

I seem to remember that once you have filled in the form with a few basic questions like boat name, emergency point of contact and types of radio to be used (and whether they are fixed or handheld) and if DSC or not then the license is emailed to you and followed up by one in the post.

The license will contain your callsign and your allocated MMSI number.

VicS is offline Registered User

If you include a DSC radio in your application for a Ship Radio Licence (or Ship Portable Radio Licence ??) or if you add one to your existing licence you should be given the MMSI number automatically.
    It should appear on the online licence, which you then print

The website for registering and applying for a licence or amending an existing licence is

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing/olc/

Not important i guess but at the same time you can remove your old non DSC radio from the licence

The part of the licence showing the MMSI number(But I dont have a DSC radio)

Last edited by VicS; 13-01-10 at 20:42.
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

prv is offline Registered User

It is possible, having bought a secondhand boat with DSC, to adopt the existing MMSI number onto the new license. This is just as it should be (and hence surprising :-) ) and saves having to get the radio reprogrammed.

Nothing gets sent in the post, it's all PDFs on the Web that you have to print out.

Pete

VicS is offline Registered User

Nothing gets sent in the post, it's all PDFs on the Web that you have to print out.
    You can still opt to do it by paper application cant you ... on payment of a fee.

Any difficulties contact Ofcom on the dog and bone. Peeps have found them helpful in the past
    Sea Wych Owners Association: www.Seawych.org

Just had great success emailing to this address :=
    licensingcentre@ofcom.org.uk

An explanation of what you want and what radio equipment you have will produce a nice quick response. Ignore the automated response telling you the email is unmonitored.
    My enquiry was followed up by a phone call and then email with pdf attachments of my new licenses.

Totally agree that the online stuff is hopeless.

prv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Wind View Post
    Totally agree that the online stuff is hopeless.
    Really? I found it all very easy, and refreshingly useful for a government service. My Dad who has to maintain an aviation VHF license is jealous :-)

Pete

Blue5 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Really? I found it all very easy, and refreshingly useful for a government service. My Dad who has to maintain an aviation VHF license is jealous :-)

Pete
    Agreed, When I amended my online account to reflect the equipment on our new boat, had confirmation and new MMSI number back within 1 hour, perhaps I was just lucky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast