Default How do I tell if a relay is broken...

Well...something is...

I'm sorry, this is about my moterbike not my hustler but I'm in need to help!

The indicators have stopped working. On removing the relay there are three pins. A multimeter across the outer ones reads 12 v. Between the outer and middle pin only reads 12 v when the indicator switch is across.

I suspect that means the out put to the relay is fine but the relay is kaput? I only replaced the old one 5 weeks ago! I could tell that the old one was up the spout as it clicked..this one is silent (and was when it worked) so no clues there!

Any help much appreciated

J

Quote Originally Posted by firstascent2002 View Post
    Well...something is...

I'm sorry, this is about my moterbike not my hustler but I'm in need to help!

The indicators have stopped working. On removing the relay there are three pins. A multimeter across the outer ones reads 12 v. Between the outer and middle pin only reads 12 v when the indicator switch is across.

I suspect that means the out put to the relay is fine but the relay is kaput? I only replaced the old one 5 weeks ago! I could tell that the old one was up the spout as it clicked..this one is silent (and was when it worked) so no clues there!

Any help much appreciated

J
    there will be + & - to activate the relay & a + out.
    you will have to deduce which is which.
    assume the - for the flasher will be through the frame
    I may be wrong but not always

Further to the post above, when it is working properly, the output terminal will be switching from 12v to 0v as the indicator lights go on and off. If the bulbs are blown, the relay will not switch on and off, as it needs the bulb current passing through a small heater inside, to make it turn on and off. If one bulb only is blown it would probably flash very slowly. The same would happen if there is a wiring fault (bad connection) to the bulbs.

If the indicator bulbs are lighting but not flashing, the fault is in the relay.

As you have checked volts, you probably have a multimeter. If the bulbs are not lighting, take the bulb out and test the resistance or continuity of each bulb. If bulbs are OK (ie resistance of a few ohms or good continuity), with one meter lead on a good earth on the frame test for 12v on one side of each bulb contact (probably centre terminal).

Using continuity again (or resistance), with one meter lead on a good earth on the frame check the other terminal of the bulb holder (probably bulb holder itself). This should give good continuity (or about 1 ohm).

If 12v or continuity (low resistance) is absent, check for a bad connection in the wiring or bulbholders.

john_morris_uk is online now Registered User
    Location : Home near Exeter, work in Hampshire, boat in Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by Eygthene View Post
    Further to the post above, when it is working properly, the output terminal will be switching from 12v to 0v as the indicator lights go on and off. If the bulbs are blown, the relay will not switch on and off, as it needs the bulb current passing through a small heater inside, to make it turn on and off. If one bulb only is blown it would probably flash very slowly. The same would happen if there is a wiring fault (bad connection) to the bulbs.
    The OP says that his new relay was silent even when it was operating. It might have been one of the 'new solid state relays' in which case I am not sure how they would react under no load conditions as it will depend on how they are designed.
    Wishing things away is not effective.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Flasher unit

Firstly you will confuse people by describing it as a relay. It is a flasher unit. (in my language)
    They have in the old ones a heating element in series with the lights. This gets hot bending a bimetalic strip to short out the heating element so allowing full current to the lamps. The heater gets cold and the contacts open to put the heater in circuit again. Just to confuse you they put a coil to an armature on the output. hence it needs an earth connection. The armature clicking is meant to be a sound warning to the driver that it is working. There have been solid state versions made more recently where the armature may be used to switch power in a relay style.
    Bypass the 2 active pins and you should get indicator lamps both on steady. If not it is in the lamp circuit. The unit will not function without the correct lamp load. a trick to show you if a lamp has failed.
    good luck olewill