Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Firestone is offline Registered User

Default Any views on AIS Recievers??

A friend is contemplating putting one on his cruiser as a further aid to navigation,ie to be seen and to give his missus peace of mind.He wants to know- is it just another Gizmo, thought up by marketing people or is it a case of fit and forget and worth the money.

Definetly not a gizzmo, my friend has just fitted one with his new garmin radar/plotter, as im always on the look out when we leave the Hamble for the fast 40plus knot Redjet 1,2 and3, would be nice to see it on the screen in front of me rather than having to look behind me.

Before all the political correctness replies come in, its still no substitute for not keeping a proper watch!!!.

I dont think they are worth spending the extra so that I could be seen by other craft though, unless a cheaper version comes out.

Also the better the aerial the better the range, you have to be in uncluttered view the benefit totally, the range from up the hamble river was not that good until the mouth of the hamble.

well worth the money i reckon.

great piece of kit, alarms can be a bit annoying when in a busy area as every ship seems to become a dangerous target even when tied up, although they are also great just to find out what all the ships are up to, have used both raymarine models and comar, am led to believe that the raymarine one is made by comar as you use the same software to set it up.
    I think they are more than just another gadget.

steverow is offline Registered User

Default AIS.

Yes AIS definitely worth the money.

NASA have just upgraded their AIS Engine to a MK3 which now includes All class A and B messages and is the same price as the last version I think 109+VAT but shop around and you will probably get 10 to fifteen quid off that price.

Have a look here:

www.nasamarine.com

Cheers

Steve.

Sandyman is offline Registered User

No not a gimmick but probably the best navigation aid to come out since radar.
    Close to busy shipping lanes at night it is a godsend. I wouldn't be without it now.

I use the NASA receiver feeding a PC running OziExplorer. Works very well. Bear in mind that either an aeriel splitter or 2nd VHF aeriel is also required when budgeting. My Furuno GP30 feeds the AIS unit using NMEA which in turn sends the consolidated data to the PC (also via NMEA).

Quote Originally Posted by steverow View Post
    Yes AIS definitely worth the money.

NASA have just upgraded their AIS Engine to a MK3 which now includes All class A and B messages and is the same price as the last version I think 109+VAT but shop around and you will probably get 10 to fifteen quid off that price.
    Spot on, I just quoted a price of 95.00 for the NASA.

As for antennae, I would always suggest a second one rather than a splitter. It just makes sense to have a spare, the type and height are not crucial though as even a low profile setup should show targets out to 20 miles.

The technology sometimes gets a hard time because it is a new capability, so people wrongly try to pigeon hole it.

I fitted a cheap receiver last year mainly to find the right ship in the anchorage when doing crew changes and not able to understand foreign accents with lat/long. Local accents bad enough. Useful for back up should radar fail and gives an indicator of type of vessel (manoeuverability) and instant info on course & speed ... if fully operational. Dont rely on them off Somali coast. !!!
    I considered an ais transmitter, but decided a RTE reflector (electronic radar target enhancer) a better option.

A good aid to radar. Don't understand why by now ais is not an integrated feature of modern radar systems rather than a separate add-on box that has to be cabled up. Wish apple designed marine electronics systems. The iNav dream!
    Ocean Froggie