Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Who, me? Naaah...
    I didn't even post a link to an extremely interesting thread on a US forum with u/w pics of a sunk boat, fearing that w34 might have paid a deposit also on one of those!
    Coming to think of it, weird how nobody mentioned that yet around here... Or did I miss it?

Just wrote a long reply asking about the pros and cons of buying used vs new boats in the larger sizes of vessel (eg over perhaps 50' or 60' long) and I got logged out..... fine, no worries, log back in - but it said the server was busy or something - tried again, worked, but my reply was lost.... and I hadn't highlighted and copied it as a precaution beforehand....
    Oh well, such is life!

If you were looking at buying a (say) 70' motor yacht from any reputable builder (not just Sunseeker) would you be happy to buy one second hand, say a few years old, for probably significantly less than the cost of a new boat, and then perhaps spend some of the savings on a re-fit to customise the vessel towards what you would have specified if you had ordered a new vessel?
    I was thinking that if Westie is worried about possible risks in buying a new boat, then this could be a possible option?

Lots of second hand Sunseekers for sale here - http://www.sunseekerbrokerage.com/brokerage-boats/

A question for jfm, is this what you did with your previous Fairline (re buying it second hand), and then you used the experience gained with her to establish a custom specification for the new vessel?

petem is offline Registered User

JFM, on iPod so can't search but did you say somewhere above that EJ's deposit might help? The topic of 'ring fenced' client accounts has been well discussed on here before but one by-product of this ring fencing is surely reduced liquidity?

Pete

I know its only January, but can I be the first to nominate this for "Thread of 2010"...

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    Who the hecks calls buying a boat an 'investment' - It couldn't be more the oppisite, it's a depreciating money-pit!
    And that's from a cool dude whose invested in a new money-pit every year.
    Ocean Froggie

i think the SS rumours are being blown out of proportion.
    I am on my 3rd SS and have a 115P on order for 2012 del. (deposit paid)
    that means i have a significant interest/stake in the way things turn out.

nevertheless one needs to always protect ones investments(deposit).
    i am sure most have done so accordingly and therefore should have no cause to worry.
    Bigmoose
    Last edited by bigmoose; 22-01-10 at 08:44.
    In the current economic climate, light at the end of the tunnel has now been switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    Hey Major, you had a sex change then
    I have had a modest boob job. I fill out my uniform more efficiently.

My accountant has reported back, I have no concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by westie34 View Post
    My accountant has reported back, I have no concerns!
    Oh well, that's the end of that then!

****ing forum time warp ****
    Last edited by lovezoo; 22-01-10 at 11:03. Reason: Correcting the hole in the space time continuum

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast