Default Eberspacher Fault Code?

My Eberspacher has stopped working and the green light on the simple control panel flashes 1 long and 3 short

any ideas what this means?

Many Thanks

Richard
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Just RTFM!! but none the wiser:

1 long and 3 short is "Safety time exceeded None Start" - "Switch off and back on again, but not more than twice. Then consult after sales service".

Any ideas why it might not be starting.

I must admit that I havent done any servicing or maintenance in 3 years - it's always worked fine, (until now), so "left well alone"

It seems to try to start, can hear the rumbling noise, and smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Any ideas what it might need?

Cheers

Richard

Ludd is offline Registered User

If you've tried to start it too often and pump has delivered fuel'your exhaust will now be full of diesel.You will neeed to empty it before identifying original fault.
    Are batteries fully charged? Have you checked the little filter in the pump? Is your fuel clean? Any diesel leaks between pump and heater? (this would reduce delivery volume so heater would smoke,flood,but not fire up)Is combustion air ok,or is pipe kinked or obstructed?

guess how I know ehich questions to ask----

Thanks for the advice - this is obviously a common issue

Tried again and it fired up - so I'm getting warm and toasty now

Batteries are fully charged, but I havent checked anything in the eber system. It's obvioulsy a problem waiting to happen, so the filter sounds favourite.

Reasonably sure the fuel is clean, no kinks, and no leaks.... but I'll bear these in mind.

Any idea how I identify the pump - presumably it could be anywhere in the line between the tank and the heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    Thanks for the advice - this is obviously a common issue

Tried again and it fired up - so I'm getting warm and toasty now

Batteries are fully charged, but I havent checked anything in the eber system. It's obvioulsy a problem waiting to happen, so the filter sounds favourite.

Reasonably sure the fuel is clean, no kinks, and no leaks.... but I'll bear these in mind.

Any idea how I identify the pump - presumably it could be anywhere in the line between the tank and the heater?
    Should be fairly close to the heater,mounted below its level at a .45 degree angle.Stick your head in the locker near heater,you will hear pump clicking. Filter is tiny and is contalned in "in" side of pump. When checking,good idea to put bowl under to catch it if you drop it! You need 10mm and 11mm open end spannersyo do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    Found it!! It's inside the engine compartment, in a bloody awkward position for getting at I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
    I fitted my own,so made sure I could reach everything. Still got to climb into cockpit locker ,though!
    Last edited by Ludd; 28-01-10 at 03:24. Reason: Bloody time warp!

Found it!! It's inside the engine compartment, in a bloody awkward position for getting at I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Martin_J is offline Registered User

As Ludd says - the filter is in the inlet/lower side of the pump. Don't whatever you do turn the nuts on the upper side because they are the calibration adjusters.

Also - you might find that rather than dropping out, you can't even see the filter. It could just be hidden up inside the pump and not dropped out yet. It's hard to see and until it comes out you might not even believe it is still in there!

AllanJ is offline Registered User

Default FYI

Currently have a similar problem. Worked fine, then would not start, then did, then got the noises but no action, now not even a noise. I am told that it may need 'reset' by Ebe as it has 'locked out'. Does that make sense?

pcatterall is offline Registered User

It may be easier (in some situations) to test the fuel flow with the pump in situ. The eber will deliver a measured amount of fuel in one 'start attempt' ( see your manual) If the amount is correct then it is fair to say that your filter/pump and supply are all in working order.