Default volvo penta kad 42 to 43 upgrade

hi can anyone tell what if any changes between 42s and 43s and is it poss to upgrade my 42s i am informed that the block and head are the same but injector and pump same bodys but diff settings and if i ordered a engine rebuild kit for my 42s i would be given a 43 kit! is there any power gains or cooler running gains to be had from upgrade?? has any one done this?? why volvo made 43s any why same block etc??

KevB is offline Registered User

I think the main changes were injector upgrades, belts and tensioners for the supercharger and waterpump. Supercharger silencer and diesel pump settings? Possibly head gasket?
    The boost pipe from the supercharger is metal on a kad43 and rubber on a 42 to reduce boost lag?

Don't bother with the supercharger silencer pipe. When the Kad 43 first came out I was asked by a Fairline sailsman to fit the silencer pipe mod to one of the last Targas with Kad 42s as part of the sails deal. I fitted the kit to one engine, closed the hatch down and got the sailsman to see if he could tell which engine had the mod. There was a very slight change in tone buy no differance in the overall volume.

Can't say that the injectors ect would be worth the cost unless you need to replace them anyway.

hi i had 1/2 hour conv with a man in volvo penta uk and other than production mods or suppying companys making mods in their produtions the only changes are the supercharger silencer pipe
    tweeks inc pump ajustments and injector settings so will prob uprate pump and inj as i will be overhauling them this year and all were mods by bosch to improve things

tico is offline Registered User

Thought there were also changes to the oil cooling of No6 piston, as apparently 42's had issues in this area.

No doubt someone with more detailed knowlege will soon correct me (Volvopaul)

Pendana is offline Registered User

I think the 43 has a different heat exchanger too.

VP do an upgrade kit for the circulation pump pully and tensioner to convert to multi v belts. (about 350 a couple of years ago)

DavidJ is offline Registered User

I seem to remember there was a head gasket problem with 42's which may have even been there still with early 43's

I have been told that one of the differences is that at 42 the engine is running the oil for piston cooling unfiltered. At 43, it is filtered. It is an oil distribution house who must be changed so that the oil is filtered before going through the nozzles for the piston cooling. Carelessness with oil change on 42 engine can block the oil to the piston cooling jets and pistons overheats! Im sure volvo boys can explain!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch 1 View Post
    hi can anyone tell what if any changes between 42s and 43s and is it poss to upgrade my 42s i am informed that the block and head are the same but injector and pump same bodys but diff settings and if i ordered a engine rebuild kit for my 42s i would be given a 43 kit! is there any power gains or cooler running gains to be had from upgrade?? has any one done this?? why volvo made 43s any why same block etc??
    Just looking into this now, unless its you Roy?