Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Default Re: Drying legs - practical in fin keeler ?

Our very own Vyv_cox has photos and tips on using beaching legs on a 30 odd ft fin keel boat.

http://coxeng.co.uk/cruising/installing-yacht-legs/

I made beaching legs for my 50 ft fin keel boat but have never used them as we don't have a very big tide range where I am.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by grahambaines1987@outlook. View Post
    Thanks Kelpie, I'll keep that in mind, though I won't be seriously looking to buy for a year or so at least.

I wonder weather legs are the safest choice for me (even in a sheltered estuary), as I work away at sea for 10 weeks at a time so can't monitor closely and remedy any problems.

Leaving a lift keel in the muddy sand for such long periods is debatably unwise as well.

Bilge keel is the obvious choice but my heart yearns for something wooden with more classic lines than bilgers can provide.

A cradle would at least work in my home port of Looe (if I ever get to the top of the morning waiting list - still waiting for a reply from the harbour commissioners). Cheers
    Provided lift keel is heavy iron thing not a dagger board it will drop down soon enough as tide rises, particularly if it has a bulb as did my second boat. I note the cradles in Looe with interest though. We have to dry out against the wall on our visits
    A boat is for going places

Legs.jpg

We use legs on our 17t 43ft boat. We have let her re-float and dry again whilst swinging to an anchor but we were on board. Would I sleep well knowing she was doing it on her own with me ashore? Probably not. The French seem happy to do it though.

I'd be more relaxed if it were a bildge keeler for sure. Perhaps if it were a trot mooring also it would be a lot better.

Friend of friend has a Fisher 25 which he moored fore and aft with legs to hold it balanced. This was fine for several years but, on one occasion, one leg sank in a bit, the whole weight came on it and it gave way. The boat was almost swamped but largely undamaged. He moved to a marina berth the following day. This has put me off legs permanently. Not worth taking the risk except when in attendance while drying out.

The French do it all the time. I suspect the physics are the same across the channel. It needs hard sand and is pointless in soft mud, just dont do it in medium ground or where strong currents can swirl across boat as it settles.

I am in the middle of buying a second hand set of metal legs, though I mostly would be in attendance on my intended usage.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    The French do it all the time. I suspect the physics are the same across the channel. It needs hard sand and is pointless in soft mud, just dont do it in medium ground or where strong currents can swirl across boat as it settles.

I am in the middle of buying a second hand set of metal legs, though I mostly would be in attendance on my intended usage.
    Agreed. A few fin keepers on fore-act moorings on legs on Belle Isle, Brittany. Also some up the rivers with shore lines which seem to rise and fall ok.

My recent visit to Belle Isle encouraged me though Green Bay in the Scillies is my expected annual usage

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    My recent visit to Belle Isle encouraged me though Green Bay in the Scillies is my expected annual usage
    This one was taken in Belle Ile. The alternative was to moor bows-in with about ten other boats on a buoy that on the day was quite exposed to wind and waves. No contest!
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Many years ago, we dried out in Ilfracombe. Alongside us was a classic wooden boat with nice lines, a long keel and an open low freeboard cockpit. As the tide dropped, the crew rigged legs. I commented to SWMBO that they looked new but also like soft wood.

Ilfracombe (then) had a very thin coating of mud on hard sand. Watching with horror, as weight came on leg, it could be seen to bend and eventually, with the most horrendous cacophony of creaking and cracking, the boat rolled over onto the leg and the mast ended up horizontal.

A surveyor was summoned and fortunately found no serious damage.

The harbour rallied round sourcing everything with buoyancy and clustered it around the cockpit. Fortunately, to everyones relief she did right herself.

Telling that story now several decades later, still causes the hairs on the back of my neck to become erect.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    This one was taken in Belle Ile. The alternative was to moor bows-in with about ten other boats on a buoy that on the day was quite exposed to wind and waves. No contest!
    Vyv... do you legs have a kind of protective varnish coating on the Aluminium. Mine do. Do you know what that would be?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast